WWI Painted Helmet - Yay or Nay

mds308

I purchased this at an estate sale.  There was a bunch of military ranging from WWI through Vietnam.  I got this helmet and 2 WWI coats posted on another thread.  What's with this design?  There are numbers stenciled in each section.  They number 1 through 12.  It reminds me of a clock dial.  The paint does look like it's been on the helmet for many years.  Fresh from the attic.  The uniforms looked good too and no odors.  Their stuff was stored well.  Thanks for the help.  

IMG_0113.JPG.f84860e206df7a9b3314c95919664be5.JPG

IMG_0112.JPG.1b7f2da0e3144f05d1b817965a38df82.JPGIMG_0111.JPG.b5521ea9b796fcacd4b8ce5ba0c4c7de.JPG

It has its liner but it's not secured.  The helmet is not true round.  It wouldn't spin correctly.  No wear around the hole.  Thanks for your input.  

The Rooster

Maybe some one had made it into a clock at one point?

Would have made a cool clock at the local VFW Bar back in the day.

manayunkman

It has significance to someone but it is really cool.

Do you have a picture of the liner?

Nice looking paint, I would consider it "original", and painted either just after the armistice or in the 1920s. Note the chinstrap has been split for wear over the chin, I've always liked that customization.  It shows this helmet was worn by a soldier, versus a spare/extra helmet taken home as a pure souvenir.  Look carefully around the edge of the liner where the little rubber bumpers fit in, perhaps you'll find initials or a service number penned there. 

There were a couple aero squadrons that used clock motif's for their insignia, but they had hands that pointed to the unit's numbers.  I don't think this artwork is meant to indicate anything more than a bored former soldier watching the clock...

51 minutes ago, AustinO said:

Look carefully around the edge of the liner where the little rubber bumpers fit in, perhaps you'll find initials or a service number penned there. 

The liner has completely fallen out.  I can see an attempt to write inside.  I will try and get some pictures.  It's very hard to read.  There's writing on the inside front and the inside back.

The first image has what appears to be a name over a service number.  The last three letters look like SEN.  Perhaps STEVENSEN.  The service number looks to be 4067458 or 1067458.  The second image has a number.  It looks to be the same number.  

IMG_0178.JPG.7fd1514ed5109d457146dec093d3cc89.JPGIMG_0177.JPG.b804f134ffb205908158d74f4298d4f9.JPG

11 hours ago, mds308 said:

I just found his service number on the chin strap.  4067458 with his initials O.G.S. 

Great helmet -- folk art certainly and trench art probably.

The service number traces to Otto G. Silverston or Silversten (difficult to tell from the documentation) of the 56th Pioneer Infantry.

The split in the chinstrap is indicative of actual usage in the AEF.  This was a field modification to wear the chinstrap on the chin rather than under it.

I also found  a Henry Moore with the same service number but the initials don't match.

Nice find.

Dennis

Otto G Silverston Outgoing Passenger Roster.jpg

Otto G Silversten Incoming Passenger Roster.jpg

48 minutes ago, bertmedals said:

The service number traces to Otto G. Silverston or Silversten (difficult to tell from the documentation) of the 56th Pioneer Infantry.

I'm pretty sure it's Silversten.  I was unable to find him on findagrave.  I tried different spellings too.  No luck.  

Thanks Dennis.  You're awesome for helping me out.  This helps tie all of this together.  I'm showing a picture of his 3rd army coat and an image I found online for the army of occupation.  His stuff was found in Virginia.  I don't know if he was connected to Maine.  Thanks again.

coat.jpg.17b210d725378a0cee16c02ffaa6b251.jpgpioneer.webp.65207f2bbabfd410b90654794ca2d2ff.webp

Nice to see it coming together.  On the troopship passenger rosters he lists his mother and his brother as the contact persons.  Both were living in Minneapolis, MN at the time.

Here is a correction -- After studying it for a while, I think the name is Otto G. Sivertsen. Draft card and headstone pic attached.

Otto G Sivertsen Draft Registration WW1.jpg

Otto G Sivertsen Headstone.jpeg

8 hours ago, bertmedals said:

Here is a correction -- After studying it for a while, I think the name is Otto G. Sivertsen. Draft card and headstone pic attached.

After all the names I wrote down, then crossed out, Sivertsen was the first name I wrote down.  

Thanks again.  

Great to see it's IDd!  If you ever sell it let me know as I'd love to "bring it home."  

Re the Maine connection, the cadre of the 56th was formed from Officers/NCOs of the 1st Maine - however the bulk of the unit was built up from recent draftees arrived at Camp Wadsworth, with a large number of men coming from Minnesota. 

He has a service questionnaire on file with the MN historical society here.

40 minutes ago, AustinO said:

Great to see it's IDd!  If you ever sell it let me know as I'd love to "bring it home." 

He was an older private being 28 years old in 1917.  I had my 26th birthday in bootcamp.  

Message me.  I case you didn't see the other thread, I have his uniforms too.