WW2 M1 insignia identification

TheCanadian

TheCanadian

I purchased this M1 a while back. It’s a Schlueter 271A front seam swivel bail with A Seaman paper Co liner, green A washers. I am fairly confident ranging it as a mid43-mid44 helmet.

I have never been able to identify why the 7 on the front and on the liner, or why the liner is painted white. It appears to be the correct period paint to me based on the patina and it’s not the shiny thin style I would expect post war.

please excuse me if I am incorrect in anything, I am Canadian and reference material is scarce in my circles.

If it is not too much trouble I would also like to get an approximate value of the helmet.

3194C93A-9EEF-4D83-B497-4E9EA573AA80.jpeg

6687488A-D125-434A-9E0F-1764E1FB4037.jpeg

4BC83EC4-8465-49BF-9C02-8E2AB2D928A0.jpeg

BCE2D97A-BC7E-479C-B874-ACCB904F4CEC.jpeg

If it wasn't for the accompanying shell with a 7 stenciled on the front, we would of been inclined to think the White painted liner with stripe down the middle and the 7 was a Soap Box Derby one.

TheCanadian

I looked into that once before but when lnvestigating soap box derby Liners they always seemed to be the P55 and usually had shiny paint and clean decals.

Also as you said I got it was strange as it was one piece from a small town antique store in Canada.

Well next guess will be some kind of navy liner, ship board type,, something  similar as seen here in this 60s photograph.

post-34986-0-29238200-1571791024.jpg

TheCanadian

Makes sense with the stencil as well for it to be navy.

what do you think is a reasonable price to sell it at?