Camouflage Netting in Vietnam or the 1960´s

Constabulary

I wonder what kind of camouflage netting the Army and Marine Corps used back in the 1960´s.

I only have seen a WWII type camouflage net with burlaps strips on one picture but don´t recall where it was.

Did they alerady use the "nowadays" pattern or did they still use the 2" netting with burlap strips?

I´m also looking for pictures from the 1950´s and 1960´s showing camouflage nettings in use - no matter if Vietnam, Germany or US

I wonder what kind of camouflage netting the Army and Marine Corps used back in the 1960´s.

I only have seen a WWII type camouflage net with burlaps strips on one picture but don´t recall where it was.

Did they alerady use the "nowadays" pattern or did they still use the 2" netting with burlap strips?

I´m also looking for pictures from the 1950´s and 1960´s showing camouflage nettings in use - no matter if Vietnam, Germany or US

Here ya go!

This is photo my father took on the Cu Chi base camp perimeter in fall 1966 when he was with C 2/27, 25th ID.

post-599-1234973155.jpg

El Bibliotecario

I think the camouflage nets in my unit in the 60s were the burlap strip variety. I say 'think' was because I only saw them once--since we never went to the field they were fastened to plywood pallets with banding straps and kept in a CONEX can.

All the netting I saw in the 70s was the plastic stip variety.

Thanks for the picture. Thats cool. You don´t find many pictures from the NAM showing the camo netting in use.

If there are some more pictures availlabel please show them w00t.gif

I wonder in which manual I´ll find some more information. Not camouflage in general but camouflage nettings.

It is hard to tell from the picture but I think that is a cargo net not a camouflage net. The ones we used in Korea about 1970 give or take a year or two were the two inch cotton net with burlap garnish. The garnish came in three colours and was woven into the net in the shape of the letters LUCI. I spent many an hour repairing and adding garnish to them. They were big and heavy and took a whole platoon to fold one with a sergeant counting cadence. They had to be folded in a special way so they could be put on the top of a truck and unfolded to cover it. Never saw one used in the States or in Europe but that is not to say some units didn't have them.

Right - could be a cargo net as well. think.gif

No other pictures? :huh:

So the camouflage in my photo is the net with burlap strips?

I may have some US Army photos in the 1966 "yearbook" for the 25th ID showing camo nets. I'll take a look later this weekend.

So the camouflage in my photo is the net with burlap strips?

I may have some US Army photos in the 1966 "yearbook" for the 25th ID showing camo nets. I'll take a look later this weekend.

I took a close up shot - I`dont know but the mesh looks a bit large for a camouflage net on the other hand I think the mesh is too small for a cargo net. But the closer I look I´d say it is a camouflage net.

IMG_9050.jpg

craig_pickrall

Try to find some pics of artillery units that are taken fron inside the gun pit. Usually they have a light sky background and you can see the net and camo pattern better. I have seen many artillery pics over the years so they should be easy to find. If you take pics from the outside looking in it is hard to distinguish any pattern.

You can also find these inside looking out pics where the nets are strung over APC's or tanks. A similar thing is the ammo or supply dump but it is harder to find those pics.