TARAWA by Robert Sherrod

conn

just finished reading it.

the author was a combat correspondent.  book for first couple of pages starts off slow, after that, it is smooth flowing and easy to follow

a must for reading

semper fi

Rakkasan187

Currently reading this book.

Some very interesting information about Lt Hawkins (Scout Sniper Platoon) who was from El Paso, Texas who was KIA on Tarawa. 

One of the streets here is named after him and it revealed some other interesting information about him

Leigh  

My copy was given to me by a Tarawa vet, he inscribed it to me. What a privilege talking to him, he was very open and frank. I’ve forgotten what unit he was in, but I can probably find out. He told me his Company Commander was killed getting out of the boat (or amtrac, I can’t remember which). When the battle was over the survivors speculated as to just who killed him, the Japanese or his own men. He wasn’t popular to put it mildly. There were men in the Company who wanted to kill him, and were perfectly capable of it. The verdict was 50-50. The vet was a refined and cultured man, and also happened to be a 4 invasion Marine. Tarawa, Guam, Eniwetok and Okinawa. 

Rakkasan187

Here is some information about Lt Hawkins, who is mentioned in the book by Sherrod.

Very pleased to have found out more extensive information about Hawkins in the book. 

I recently found out that the El Paso Historical Society has Hawkins Medal of Honor as well as his uniforms and other items. 

I will be contacting the EPHS in order to make an appointment to see Hawkins MOH and other items.

Here is some information about Lt. William Dean Hawkins..

Best regards, stay safe

Leigh 

SA402046.JPG

SA402047.JPG

SA402048.JPG

SA402049.JPG

SA402050.JPG

SA402045.JPG