Request assistance with named Spiewak A-2

zk4298militaria

zk4298militaria

I picked up this A2 at the SoS for a good price but with this being my first A2 I just had some questions on preservation and Identification. It’s named to a TSgt W.B. Free with the name patch oddly placed just above the right pocket. I’ve done a little research on the name and come up with some possibilities but nothing definite. My second problem is preservation, I know it should either be flat or on a mannequin and out of sunlight. There is some mold in the collar, the leather is chipping on the shoulders and elbows, and some lining is ripped. I’d like to know what measures to take to keep it from getting worse. The zipper and one collar hook are MIA so what brand of original zipper should I look for to replace it if at all? I suspect the cuffs have been replaced. Also could you give an approximate value of a jacket like this?
Thanks for looking and I really appreciate any help you can offer. If you need more or better pictures let me know.                    -Zack

73A09A6F-A477-4316-B6E5-1623B3BE41E6.jpeg.a0c55e85fbdeb2e6ad8b9c3d6c61b339.jpegF128D64B-13AA-4AED-AEC6-A8879F3D138E.jpeg.551c6957b2278633061171919a930dc9.jpeg757CC31B-45AE-468D-B155-A88BA409AAB3.jpeg.38569bfb7bafb641acf85fbcac5a5714.jpeg81FB1383-7340-4280-972A-C98B69B86041.jpeg.312b881423e195e6f3f80b837494f9d4.jpeg9F908F36-06D2-43DE-B046-74F9D4A282EE.jpeg.3f60dd002847308f6728581a46c4b3d2.jpeg5A8FC831-600C-4DF5-BA74-223DFB48E962.jpeg.0729f4a51a847c90f69de11807c9e847.jpegC053EE35-73B6-4782-A9DB-B872BF1EB86A.jpeg.856a5c8fd9918db6281708051e97f87d.jpegE389A95B-B4A0-4A74-8191-3202E3AF6CD1.jpeg.8191c2f90840dcb09f288de0d6ff411a.jpeg

CavalryCombatant

I’d bet this is your guy, further research would be needed to confirm.

edit- thought I found your guy, but completely messed up the initials.

Nice A2, by the way!

zk4298militaria
2 minutes ago, CavalryCombatant said:

I’d bet this is your guy, further research would be needed to confirm.

Thank you for the possible ID but its  W.B Free on the name tag, not F.B Unless he went by a W name. Not sure.

CavalryCombatant
2 minutes ago, zk4298militaria said:

Thank you for the possible ID but its  W.B Free on the name tag, not F.B Unless he went by a W name. Not sure.

I saw that when I went to confirm, must’ve mistyped on find-a-grave and went from there..  

I tried to edit my comment but apparently I’m not quick enough!

CavalryCombatant

Perhaps this is your guy?  This time the name lines up- I triple checked! 

93DE5E3C-E8EC-41BE-B679-51D5B5972ADE.jpeg

9D37D5B3-A4FA-47B3-AE0C-B667BB716A64.jpeg

zk4298militaria
12 minutes ago, CavalryCombatant said:

Perhaps this is your guy?  This time the name lines up- I triple checked! 

His name does come up in the enlistment records, he was one of the names I had narrowed it down to. I’m thinking it’s a pretty good match. Thanks for your help!

phantomfixer

cant help with the name, but the mildew, just a warm damp cloth, wipe away the mildew and air dry out of the sun...

congratulations on your first A2...

the name tag placement is not common, but not rare either, so dont worry about it...he put it there...

the name tag itself is uncommon as the AAF did not put rank on the leather name tags...generally speaking........I like it

I agree with Phantomfixer on placement of name strip. Not all that common in WWII, but it was done. If you look at pre war jackets, you will see it done this way quite commonly, especially on the early A1 jackets and the very first edition A2’s in the early to mid 1930’s. The Navy and Marines also sometimes did it on some of the early cloth jackets, and you will see the name stenciled on a strip of canvas sewn above the pocket like this on both cloth and leather jackets in those early days. Congrats on your first A2. You are in trouble now!

A-2s can be addictive. Congrats!

Mr disagreeable has entered the chat!

As for the rest of this jacket I would likely not do too much. I think this should have an early Crown zipper - arguably the most difficult zip to find. It might already be a replacement zipper in which case any #5 pull should work. It's missing the insertion pin so would need to be replaced completely to function. A pull would possibly allow it to be zipped for display. This is not a jacket you would want to wear at all - even for special events.

The jacket has what collectors call "red rot" in all the common areas, more common with some makers for some unknown reason. This will limit the value of the jacket forever and will limit what you can do with it today due to it's fragility. The temptation is to have the zip replaced with an affordable modern option by a local tailor. Replacing a zipper is not likely as most envision. Done correctly, it requires doing some fairly aggressive manipulation that the leather and fragile lining may not like. I feel that would be a bad move for the look and remaining value of the jacket. I have replaced cuffs on an A-2 in better condition and it was about all it could take.

I would do as Phantom Fixer recommended and just clean it with water and a microfiber. Maybe multiple times but the sun is good advice to stop the mold. Leather tip: Despite advertising there is no magic pH neutral, restorative elixr. If you search, you will find many and many customers who have used them with "great results"... for 2022. Best avoided especially once the hide is going and would further reduce value. No Fabreeze. Nothing but water to remove the mold(which won't hurt you) is best.

I would think the best role for this jacket, once gently cleaned of mold, is to display it on a mannequin with Mae West life preserver, etc. hiding the ills. Secondly would be kept flat in a box. The second would imply it is worth keeping as-is but it is quite damaged so no real need for that kind or museum preservation. The value is low for a collector but the benefit is it has not been "restored" and is researchable to a real vet! Kept clean and as-is the market will always have a place for an original, tagged A-2.

Some might advise that you have nothing to lose but once it is "restored" or messed with a jacket with that type of permanent rot will actually loose more value. Others may disagree.

Rarer contract so congrats!

Dave

Dave gives good advice. Dave, who is Mr. disagreeable? It seems from a process of elimination you are talking about me?

Nice jacket!  Same thoughts as Dave- don’t worry about the zipper and just clean it up a bit.  And yep, careful, they are addictive.  

30 minutes ago, dmar836 said:

LOL. No, I sense that I often tend to bring a tangent view that stops threads in their tracks!

Oh gotcha. I am relieved. I am actually the total opposite of disagreeable so just couldn’t figure it out. Guess I am getting paranoid in my old age. Thanks Dave. 

zk4298militaria

Id like to thank you all for your input. The information you've provided has been invaluable. I don't plan for this to be my last A2, Ill try to take it easy on the buying but no promises! Once I get a good display ill show it. Hope this is the start of much more to come!