How to search for a wound Records?

Ndhunter1887

Im trying to find records of a relative Fred Reich JR  Serial 2,559,944 In his obituary from 1919 it states he was wounded from gas but I have not been able to find any records of that outside of the obituary.

Yes thank you! That is the info I have found, I was under the impression that in ww1 when wounded they would make a wound card like I have seen with a couple other soldiers on ancestry. Here is the obituary translated from German to English. (He was German Russian, search it if you do not know) 

REICH - Friedrich, son of our brothers and sisters Friedrich and Elisabeth REICH, born on 9 Feb. 1894 in Ostrofko, South Russia, died on 25 Oct. 1919 at an age of 25 years 8 month 15 days. In the year 1906 he came together with his parents to America and visited the board. When the United States were drawn into the terrible World War, he was called to duty (colors), served his colors truly for 14 month and was discharged with a Honorable Discharge. On the battle field he had a severe cold and also got gas,  whereby he caught a lung disease, which made an early end to his young life. Though Friedrich was awaken yet a longer time and

searched for certaintity of his spiritual welfare, so he did not confess to have found peace until his end was already approaching.

His last words were: "If I had another chance to live I would serve the Lord faithfully!" This should be a warning for many! He leaves behind besides his deeply grieved parents his grandmother, 3 brothers, 2 sisters and numerous friends.  His war comrades carried his lifeless mortal frame to rest.

Ps(alm) 90, (vers) 12 served as comfort and word of warning.

The Lord may comfort the grieved hearts!

S.  J. FUXA     

There are no specific casualty cards like WW2. In this instance, period newspapers are probably the only other place you'd find mention of his gassing.  He is not mentioned in the division history, and the regiment did not publish their own history.

12 hours ago, AustinO said:

There are no specific casualty cards like WW2. In this instance, period newspapers are probably the only other place you'd find mention of his gassing.  He is not mentioned in the division history, and the regiment did not publish their own history.

It may also be mentioned on his AGO service card. Each state should have a copy of this service card, but it may be stored at different location.  In Indiana, it is at the Indiana State Archives.  North Dakota may have a similar set-up.

Ndhunter1887
22 minutes ago, BEAST said:

It may also be mentioned on his AGO service card. Each state should have a copy of this service card, but it may be stored at different location.  In Indiana, it is at the Indiana State Archives.  North Dakota may have a similar set-up.

AGO card? Is that similar to a DD214? Also I am hard at work looking for a picture of him with no luck, so if anyone stumbles across a picture of him or L company 138th.

Not all states had service/AGO cards (off the top of my head SD, MN, WI, and IL all didn't use them), if ND has them they have not been digitized.  ND did issue a service book, and that's what Blacksmith shared in his first post above. 

Ndhunter1887
1 hour ago, AustinO said:

Not all states had service/AGO cards (off the top of my head SD, MN, WI, and IL all didn't use them), if ND has them they have not been digitized.  ND did issue a service book, and that's what Blacksmith shared in his first post above. 

Ive never heard of a AGO in ND but I have this super rare book which was given only to court houses. This book is where that paragraph of info came from that blacksmith posted. It is similar to a AGO. 

A7565337-0433-4B56-8912-86414A3C17E9.jpeg

21 hours ago, AustinO said:

Thanks AustinO, I didn't know that all the states did not use these cards.

22 hours ago, Ndhunter1887 said:

AGO card? Is that similar to a DD214? Also I am hard at work looking for a picture of him with no luck, so if anyone stumbles across a picture of him or L company 138th.

This is an example of an AGO card.  Note that the information is incomplete, they have him wounded, but no engagements.484244525_WOLVERTONAGO2.jpg.243030a1db6621b16bc28544364275f5.jpg