Does anyone have any pictures of painted ranks on helmets in the pacific

ArchangelDM

Here you go, a Navy Rate painted on the front of a helmet on Attu, Rate is done it seems just like it's cloth equivalent, Red Chevron White Crow and Device, which may be Radiomman Lighting Bolts.

trate_on_helmet_atu.jpg

rate on helmet atu.jpg

• 2 months later...

Anyone have any photos of any 10th Army Division in Okinawa ? My thought is if there where any painted rank or other markings, once Bolivar was shot by a sniper, those got painted over really quickly. 

On 7/8/2022 at 4:01 PM, Sneaky said:

2 Star general, photo is accredited to the pacific theatre though I cannot find out more about it

873E933A-F00E-47E8-A571-27CE0C7E78E3.jpeg

That’s a good one! And it sure appears to be in the pacific. I wish we knew more about it like when(very important) and where. 

My point for my question above  is I am wondering if my grandfather had a painted helmet and if so I would like to have a replica created. He was in the Army in an engineering aviation construction battalion. By the end of the war he was a full bird Col. This is the only picture I possess of him in Okinawa (I have a ton state side) with a helmet on. Does it look marked to you guys? 

34FA62E1-1CBB-4AC9-BD70-A3B6A07B40DB.png

50 minutes ago, Smokeshow said:

That’s a good one! And it sure appears to be in the pacific. I wish we knew more about it like when(very important) and where. 

“Major General Lemuel C. Shepherd…Seated on Shore, Studying Map of Okinawa. June 28, 1945. Prints & Photographs Division“

Found this heading, multiple different sites seem to report the same thing.

44 minutes ago, Smokeshow said:

My point for my question above  is I am wondering if my grandfather had a painted helmet and if so I would like to have a replica created. He was in the Army in an engineering aviation construction battalion. By the end of the war he was a full bird Col. This is the only picture I possess of him in Okinawa (I have a ton state side) with a helmet on. Does it look marked to you guys? 

34FA62E1-1CBB-4AC9-BD70-A3B6A07B40DB.png

Doesnt look marked to me. Seems to just be lighting, discoloration or dirt on the helmet that gives it that kind of painted/camo-ish look

8 hours ago, Sneaky said:

Doesnt look marked to me. Seems to just be lighting, discoloration or dirt on the helmet that gives it that kind of painted/camo-ish look

Thanks! That’s what I was thinking as well. He wasn’t a flashy guy so I think if there was an option, he would have opted to not mark it. His big thing was treating his men like equals no matter the rank. 

4 hours ago, Sneaky said:

Another painted 2 star general M1

D4B15A39-C966-4448-BBBB-6C83A3824B46.jpeg

This one is interesting. I can’t tell if there is something on the side of the 2 star or if it is just part of the painted scheme? 

10 minutes ago, Smokeshow said:

This one is interesting. I can’t tell if there is something on the side of the 2 star or if it is just part of the painted scheme? 

Great question, it does look like there is some sort of design. I again think its dirt and grime though, as 2 stars on an M1 is already a big target.

On 7/8/2022 at 7:01 PM, Sneaky said:

2 Star general, photo is accredited to the pacific theatre though I cannot find out more about it

873E933A-F00E-47E8-A571-27CE0C7E78E3.jpeg

Nice shot of him.