Does anyone have any pictures of painted ranks on helmets in the pacific

ArchangelDM

Hi all 

I’m sure some units did it, I believe the 7th infantry but has anyone got any photos of Army helmets with painted ranks on them In the pacific. 
I know Lt General Buckner wore his 3 star helmet and was told not too, many pictures with him still wearing it. 
If you have any please post them up, 

Thanks 

D

Burning Hazard

I've watched hours of WWII footage reels from the Pacific and rank painted helmets are seldom seen; likely because they are easy targets for Japanese snipers. However, some ranks and markings returned to helmets during the Japan occupation period immediately after WWII.

Here is a decent footage reel from Okinawa showing rank painted helmets (Dated June 2nd 1945). Units unknown.

"The U.S. troops at the Shuri Line in Ryukyu Islands, Japan during the Battle of Okinawa. Soldiers gather in an area. Vehicles parked nearby. Soldiers talk amongst themselves and cheer. An Army officer gets a cigarette from an enlisted man. They smoke"

MP Helmet Okinawa.jpg

Burning Hazard

Another one from August 7th, 1945

"American troops arrive in the Philippines during World War II. Landing crafts approach a shore in the Philippines. Nearly 4000 American soldiers, who participated in the Italian campaign, get off the landing crafts. The soldiers board a truck. Women workers serve snacks and coffee to the soldiers."

They look like ordnance units (flaming bombs painted on the sides of helmets)

1535215153.JPG

• 1 month later...
ArchangelDM
6 hours ago, BEAT_NAVY said:

image.png.fab8ef29d29695bd504c00a47b83ab39.pngFound off a google search

Very nice find ! Love that camo helmet with LT bar 

Thankyou 

No problem! I'll be looking for more.

5 hours ago, ArchangelDM said:

Very nice find ! Love that camo helmet with LT bar 

Thankyou 

3 minutes ago, donaldnol said:

My dad is wearing helmet w/ a white circle on a liberty ship in the south pacific

IMG_20220329_0001.jpg

sorry he's in port

pararaftanr2
14 hours ago, BEAT_NAVY said:

image.png.fab8ef29d29695bd504c00a47b83ab39.pngFound off a google search

That is one of the President's sons, James Roosevelt, while training in the US. He was second in command of the 2nd Raider Battalion and was awarded a Navy Cross for his actions during the Makin Island raid in October 1942.

32 minutes ago, ArchangelDM said:

love the pics of your dad ! Thanks so much for posting 

i not sure what the white circle means, could be training for BIG GUN

Didn't know that!

2 hours ago, pararaftanr2 said:

That is one of the President's sons, James Roosevelt, while training in the US. He was second in command of the 2nd Raider Battalion and was awarded a Navy Cross for his actions during the Makin Island raid in October 1942.

pararaftanr2
4 hours ago, BEAT_NAVY said:

Didn't know that!

He was one of four Roosevelt sons to serve in WW2. Here he is seen with Carlson, after the Makin raid, holding the flag that was flown over the Japanese HQ on the island. It was later given to the President.

ace52c4ee37e77b1cbf309c1c8b592db.jpg

Buffalo Grunt

Here's a painted 7th Infantry Division Liner (M-1 is not painted) that's in my collection.  Belonged to SFC Elmer J. Hill Jr.

*Also notice the embroidered "7" on the 7th ID SSI that's he's wearing in the portrait.

Elmer Jennings Hill Jr.jpg

IMG_1679.JPG

IMG_1678.JPG

IMG_1688.JPG