30 Plus Air Medal Recipient to USMC

Jtski

Hello,

Just received this set in to what appears to be a Vietnam-era USMC pilot. 32 Strike/Flight awards would equal either 320 strike missions or 640 flight missions as I understand. The gold star would be for an individual award, not sure if the total for this airman would be 33 or 34 to include the initial award of the Air Medal?

Mounted for wear, leaning toward USMC based on the vertical campaign stars and mounting style. Can't be too many recipients out there with that number of Air Medals?

Jeff

20220223_132719.jpg

Captain Frank Adams USMC had a previous tour in Vietnam where he picked up 16 strike/flight awards - He was KIA on March 23, 1970 during his second tour

Bill

Adams.JPG

I just looked Capt Adams up and see he was an Infantry officer and Aerial Observer with Marine Observation Squadron 2 (VMO-2) flying aboard Hueys, Broncos, and Birddogs.

I like seeing the period groups with campaign medals mounted with "longer" ribbons where you can see the suspension ring versus the more modern looking shorter ribbons with the machined-looking creases covering the suspension rings.

Jeff