1966 VT-25 flight suit with rigger added pockets

viking73

Hi Group,

I picked up this 1966 dated USN flight suit from a good friend over the weekend. The most interesting thing to me is of course what looks like the two rigger made attachments to the right side of the suit. Being a training squadron (VT-25), I'm sort of surprised by that. Any ideas what they could be for? Maybe the lower pocket was added for a knife of some sort? Another cool thing is the NAS Miramar page that was stuck in one of the pockets! Love stuff like that. Thanks for looking!

-Derek

IMG_1695-CROP.jpg

IMG_1696-CROP.jpg

IMG_1697-CROP.jpg

IMG_1699-CROP.jpg

IMG_1700-CROP.jpg

IMG_1701-CROP.jpg

IMG_1702-CROP.jpg

The sleeve pocket looks like it would be for a MC-1 snap blade and hook knife or just one of the fixed hook blade knives, and the lower larger pocket looks like its for a pilots survival knife and sheath.

Odd place for both.. the lower thigh pocket is outboard so thinking not for inflight use.. agree with Mohawk…a knife or other immediate required survival item..

I've told the story before. My friend, Roger, an F-100 pilot in VN, said the "pecker pocket" was for the MC-1 knife. He gave one of those to another buddy who has worn a flight suit in aerobatic competitions and when he saw him Roger reached down and ripped the pocket off his flight suit, tearing it a bit, saying, "Only bomber pilots need a "pecker pocket!"

I really can't make myself call it anything else anymore.

Dave

2 hours ago, dmar836 said:

I've told the story before. My friend, Roger, an F-100 pilot in VN, said the "pecker pocket" was for the MC-1 knife. He gave one of those to another buddy who has worn a flight suit in aerobatic competitions and when he saw him Roger reached down and ripped the pocket off his flight suit, tearing it a bit, saying, "Only bomber pilots need a "pecker pocket!"

I really can't make myself call it anything else anymore.

Dave

Its different for them.  If they are in fact going to carry the MC-1 or fixed blade hook knife, they have the pocket on their G suits to carry them.  Any regular joe like a aerobatic pilot that was going to carry a knife would need that pocket still attached since they wont be wearing a G suit over it.   Clearly the non G suit military pilots would need it too if they chose to carry one.  Dont think many really do but I do know they still carry a hook knife in their G-Suits usually.  My buddy who flew ANG F-16s had one of the newer Colonial M-724 snap blade knives with the hook they kept in the open pos inside the pocket of their G-suit.  He never mentioned if they still tore off that pocket itself on the 27P flight suit.  Really havent seen any newer surplus bags with them torn off, but I did buy some old ones from the early to mid 70s and both had them taken off with the snap studs still present.  He also included the pockets and a note explaining the story as you were probably told.

4 hours ago, phantomfixer said:

Odd place for both.. the lower thigh pocket is outboard so thinking not for inflight use.. agree with Mohawk…a knife or other immediate required survival item..

The red pouch does seem to be in a odd spot but I can see how it might make sense vs on the legs anywhere.  The sleeve is away from any form of gear like a survival vest/LPU and seat/parachute harness.  plus its kinda close by with not much distance since it will be attached via dummy cord for easy reach up to the suspension lines.  The material this red one is made of is made of the same canvas cotton looking material I got a MC-1 knife in once that had a fabricated belt pouch for it, but was a sage or OD material vs red.  

As for the leg/outter thigh pouch that appears to be for a pilot survival knife, that is actually the same area that the Army chose for a internal pocket for a knife and folder orange nylon panel marker in the OD green 2 piece nomex flight suits.  Was like a secret pocket the had inside the thigh pocket.  Used to think it was for a pilot knife but I dont think it was large enough for that so I think it was more for the MC-1 snap blade/hook knife.   The orange signal panels still have instructions to have them folded for that knife pocket til this day printed on them.  They actually carry those panels now inside Air Warrior PSCG vests instead of carrying pen flare kits.  All pyros were removed from the Army vests.