SACO patch on ebay with poor ID sold

mortaydc60

Seller is person that inherited collection and confesses to lack of knowledge listed this as WW2/post war/1950's Navy squadron? What it actually is ,is a terrific example of SACO patch with Tiger depicted and ships anchor. This classic has been reproduced multiple times and are currently available for purchase on Ebay. Again it was experienced collectors that apparently knew what it was and bid accordingly. Wanted forum to see this example since it is not often seen and a more uncommon variant.s-l1600-105.jpg.438ad861765ab9f7c3f1303b08b84fb7.jpg

Airborne-Hunter

The most advanced Saco collector in the world had trepidation with this patch and decided to pass because he could not make a decision good or bad. Saco patches have been extensively faked for the better part of the last decade. Most do not conform to examples known to exist prior to 2010. There was one example of a 14th AF Saco patch found more than a decade ago. Then suddenly a leather example with dumpy details showed up. Then silk versions of that leather version showed up. Then another leather. This collector is suspect of these four. 

In conversing with the collector he stated to effect: "there are things I like and things I would have thought different, but the artwork is stellar." He would not make a call, good or bad on this piece. $1225 is really, really cheap if real, expensive if bad. He did not bid. His not bidding should speak to HIS uncertainty, NOT to the PATCH's authenticity or lack thereof. 

Not to beat a dead horse; there is a super faker among us, be aware. ABN

This scarf was mine and want to show to add more info to topic and show that there was more than one example in fact I believe Bob Chatt had several one of which was painted on on green piece of wood if not mistaken. But have no doubt this scarf is perhaps the best example.post-565-0-97619800-1490840227_thumb.jpeg.8858a09d5d0fe268304e229398d3a1bc.jpeg

The above scarf is also seen in Ricks posts on SACO as is the green leather painted version. Not to start a quarrel but ABN in his post had doubts about the leather recently on ebay and basically based it on a known authorities hesitancy to bidding on the item; than said really can not be sure, a basic toss-up in essence. The problem or question is why than state the conclusion that there is a master forger/faker and to be careful, thus making the conclusion that it is a fake. My own feeling is that it is good and would have and did take a shot at it. This is a case of using your gut instinct and knowledge and diffence of opinion.

As an aside the scarf had been in my cases at the SOS and went unnoticed; will leave it to the forum of what to make of that.

I agree with Mort and believe the patch is genuine. I was the winning bidder.

Since some know how extensive my SACO collection is I've been asked if it was my opinion anonymously cited above. It was not my opinion. I waited to respond  until after the patch arrived to better inform my opinion as having the item in hand provides insight images cannot.

The patch in hand confirms to me it is genuine. Among the observations are the type/quality, age and condition of the leather, crazing and cracking of the paint, type and quality of paint consistent with its purported age and theater, the quality and workmanship of the artwork itself, stressing along the leather, front and back, especially at the stitch holes with thread remaining, are among my observations.

While there are some skilled fakes, I don't believe this patch is one of them.

Airborne-Hunter
On 2/20/2022 at 12:28 PM, mortaydc60 said:

The above scarf is also seen in Ricks posts on SACO as is the green leather painted version. Not to start a quarrel but ABN in his post had doubts about the leather recently on ebay and basically based it on a known authorities hesitancy to bidding on the item; than said really can not be sure, a basic toss-up in essence. The problem or question is why than state the conclusion that there is a master forger/faker and to be careful, thus making the conclusion that it is a fake. My own feeling is that it is good and would have and did take a shot at it. This is a case of using your gut instinct and knowledge and diffence of opinion.

As an aside the scarf had been in my cases at the SOS and went unnoticed; will leave it to the forum of what to make of that.

I state there is a master forger because most people are asleep at the wheel and the fakes are quickly proliferating collections and dealer tables. The person has done extensive work on SACO and Chinese OSS patches. Anybody notice the explosion in the total number of these patches in the last 10 years?

Towards the patch in question in this topic. Let's ask some questions. Where were virtually all known SACO patches made? Were those made in the same hand? What about the same materials? If there are exceptions, how were the exceptions made? Does this match?

Broadly speaking, has anyone ever seen a China based squadron patch made like this? Has anyone seen ANY Chinese or Indian made patch made like this? Is the leather on this patch even leather because it sure doesn't look to be? Is it just me or have the white fields been dirtied? Does the wear in the field match the wear that one should see for a patch that was sewn on a jacket. 

Maybe everyone reading this won't be able to answer each and every one of these questions, but most collectors should be able to answer at least some and when they do. They should reach the same conclusion I provided above. I'm not saying its fake, but I'm not saying its real either. It doesn't fit and there are a lot of questions that I'm unsure if they can be answered. 

• 1 month later...
BullyMaguire

I know I am a little late but I want to get an opinion on This pre-World War II patch it is being sold right now for $52 by World war patches I don’t know it just sounds too good to be true but what do you guys think

1AEA5DD4-3FB5-4816-B02A-0E0400BCE740.png

36D2B218-AEB1-438B-BBE1-040B1220B241.png

0326E51C-FC73-4B47-A36F-838FD049EA61.png