American Field Service group

wartimecollectables.com

wartimecollectables.com

This is a great group and I'm certain correct but I can't find the name J. Krura anywhere and I can't find anything on  the 116 unit on the helmet rooster.

AFS-3.jpg

AFS-2.jpg

AFS-9a.jpg

AFS-1.jpg

AFS-8a.jpg

wartimecollectables.com

Yes. AFS started as American volunteers serving in France before the US entered the war. Many transferred into the US Army in 1917 and continued as ambulance driver's.

wartimecollectables.com

When the US entered the war, they asked the AFS boys to join the US Army. Some did, some went home.
Many of those that stayed with the US forces were simply reassigned back to the the French unit they had
been with.  Yes, this uniform would date to after the time of Volunteer service and are now American Ambulance
service but I believe (not certain) that the AFS title was kept

I found a 116th Sanitary Train with the 41st Division.  Could be, that's tomorrow's research project!
There is also a 116th Ambulance with the 29th Division.  Definitly could be!

I appreciate you taking the time explain it to me.

It’s a wonderful group.

Krura is a name associated with India and should be very rare in the USA.

Dumb question but did you check all the pockets ?

Torrington is in Connecticut.

It will be interesting what you find out.

wartimecollectables.com

Thanks, it's really interesting. Most of the AFS guys were recruited by France from the Ivy League schools like Harvard. They weren't medically trained. There job was to go on the battlefield grab wounded and get them to rear ASAP!

Not dumb, many don't check pockets! Nothing.

• 1 month later...
Croix de Guerre

There is a great amount of confusion connected with ambulance drivers in World War One.  I won't bore you all with the history of the volunteer American ambulance service but get right to the point.  Once America declared war with Germany in April 1917, steps were taken to federalize the volunteer ambulance corps of the American Field Service and the Norton-Harjes Formations.  Throughout the summer of 1917 and into the fall the men serving in these organizations were encouraged to enlist in the US Army and continue as ambulance drivers or to find another venue to enlist in.  The French military had become dependent on the volunteer ambulance sections and were concerned that they would lose their service.  The United States assured the French that they would maintain the ambulance sections but they would do so under the control of the US Army.  The various pre-war volunteer ambulance sections of the AFS and the Norton-Harjes Formations were either eliminated or combined to form new sections.  These new sections were renumbered and were brought up to strength with replacements from the US.  The replacements were not AFS or Norton-Harjes volunteers.  They were regular enlistees that had enlisted in the U.S. Army in the United States.  After the Armistice, when the patch craze was all the rage in the A.E.F., the Gallic Rooster or the  Le coq gaulois was adopted as the insignia for the US Army ambulance sections that served on detached duty with the French Army.  As far as this uniform is concerned.  I check the official AFS roster for a "J. Krura" and came up with nothing.  Now that does not always mean that the man in question did not serve with the AFS as some men were omitted from the final role for infractions of some sort.  It also is possible that "J. Krura" may have served in the Norton-Harjes Formation.  The best way to determine that is to see if he applied for a US Passport as if her was a volunteer, he would've sailed to France as a civilian.  To the best of my determination currently, there is no record of a "J. Krura" receiving a passport from 1914 through 1919.  It is my assumption therefore it is highly unlikely that he was a volunteer in either the AFS or the Norton-Harjes Formations. 

Croix de Guerre

There is a Torrington, Connecticut.  And I also searched for the last name Torrington but came up with nothing.

Croix de Guerre

The acronym "S.S.U." is French.  It stood for Section Sanitaire Unis. "Unis" being the French word for "United", as in "United States".  In the early days of the ambulance service in 1915, the American sections were sometimes referred to S.S.A.A. for Section Sanitaire Ambulance Américain but this was soon dropped in favor of the S.S.U. as the English ambulance sections were already referred to as S.S.A. or Section Sanitaire Anglais.  The acronym T.M.U. was used on connection with the American Transport or camion sections recruited from late arriving American Field Service volunteers, (In the summer of 1917).  T.M.U. stood for Transport Militaire Unis .  

Here is a list of all of the volunteer Ambulance and Camion Sections that became US Army ambulance and transportation sections

American Field Service Sections that became US Army Ambulance Sections with the French Army.

S.S.U. 1 became U.S. Army S.S.U. 625

S.S.U. 2 became U.S. Army S.S.U 626

S.S.U. 3 returned from the Balkans and was disbanded in November 1917

S.S.U. 4 became U.S. Army S.S.U. 627

S.S.U. 8 became U.S. Army S.S.U. 628

S.S.U. 9 became U.S. Army S.S.U. 629

The Vosges Detachment was disbanded in August 1917

S.S.U. 10 returned from the Balkans and was disbanded

S.S.U. 12 became U.S. Army S.S.U. 630

S.S.U. 13 became U.S. Army S.S.U. 631

S.S.U. 14 became U.S. Army S.S.U. 632

S.S.U. 15 became U.S. Army S.S.U. 633

S.S.U. 16 became U.S. Army S.S.U. 634

S.S.U. 17 became U.S. Army S.S.U. 635

S.S.U. 18 became U.S. Army S.S.U. 636

S.S.U. 19 became U.S. Army S.S.U. 637

S.S.U. 20 – (Training Camp Section, The Old Mill)

S.S.U. 26 became U.S. Army S.S.U. 638

S.S.U. 27 became U.S. Army S.S.U. 639

S.S.U. 28 became U.S. Army S.S.U. 640

S.S.U. 64 Disbanded

S.S.U. 65 became U.S. Army S.S.U. 622

S.S.U. 29 Disbanded, cars taken over by S.S.U. 71

S.S.U. 66 became U.S. Army S.S.U. 623

S.S.U. 67 became U.S. Army S.S.U. 624

S.S.U. 68 became U.S. Army S.S.U. 621

S.S.U. 69 merged with S.S.U. 26 becoming U.S. Army S.S.U. 638

S.S.U. 30 combined with S.S.U. 18 and became U.S. Army S.S.U. 642

S.S.U. 70 became U.S. Army S.S.U. 636 (took over Fords of S.S.U. 18)

S.S.U. 31 became U.S. Army S.S.U. 643

S.S.U. 71 merged with S.S.U. 29 and became U.S. Army S.S.U. 641

S.S.U. 32 became U.S. Army S.S.U. 644

S.S.U. 33 became U.S. Army S.S.U. 645

S.S.U. 72 became U.S. Army S.S.U. 639

Norton-Harjes units that became USAAS Sections

S.S.U. 5 – merged with S.S.U. 24 and became S.S.U. 646 (Harjes Formation)

S.S.U. 7 – Disbanded Norton

S.S.U. 11 – Norton

S.S.U. 21 – 

S.S.U. 22 – 

S.S.U. 23

S.S.U. 24 - merged with S.S.U. 5 and became S.S.U. 646

S.S.U. 57 – 

S.S.U. 58 - 

S.S.U. 59 –

S.S.U. 60 - 

S.S.U. 61 – 

S.S.U. 62 – 

S.S.U. 63 – 

T.M.U. Units of the Reserve Mallet

T.M.U – 133 Group Erhardt

·      Section E – University of California

·      Section F -  Princeton University

T.M.U – 184 Group Meyer

·      Section G – Dartmouth University

·      Section H – Tufts College

·      Section I – Marietta College

·      Section M – Buffalo College

T.M.U – 363 - ?

T.M.U. – 397 Group Hémart

·      Section 397

·      Section 210

·      Section 242

·      Section 155

T.M.U – 526 Group Genin

·      Section A- Cornell University

·      Section B- Andover University

·      Section C- Dartmouth University

·      Section D – Misc.

T.M.U – 527 - ?

T.M.U – 537 - ?

wartimecollectables.com

Great info!

I am wondering if the name isn't J. Krura but J. K. Rura? 

Another slim but reasonable possibility is that he was an immigrant and changed name. My grandfather came to U.S. as Johannes Frederick Lippe but name became John Frederick Lipps.

I love research, its what draws me into collecting. Names changes, mis spellings, and poor record keeping is challenging! Currently researching the name Lanphear, Lamphear. Lanfere, Lamfere, Lanphere Lanfear, and more!

Croix de Guerre
6 hours ago, wartimecollectables.com said:

Great info!

I am wondering if the name isn't J. Krura but J. K. Rura? 

Another slim but reasonable possibility is that he was an immigrant and changed name. My grandfather came to U.S. as Johannes Frederick Lippe but name became John Frederick Lipps.

I love research, its what draws me into collecting. Names changes, mis spellings, and poor record keeping is challenging! Currently researching the name Lanphear, Lamphear. Lanfere, Lamfere, Lanphere Lanfear, and more!

Just avoid creating stories to justify your theories.  Right now it is a killer group plain and simple.  

wartimecollectables.com

Yes killer group.  Thanks.  Regards creating stories, I can only assume something wrote was misunderstood.

Croix de Guerre
20 hours ago, Croix de Guerre said:

The acronym "S.S.U." is French.  It stood for Section Sanitaire Unis. "Unis" being the French word for "United", as in "United States".  In the early days of the ambulance service in 1915, the American sections were sometimes referred to S.S.A.A. for Section Sanitaire Ambulance Américain but this was soon dropped in favor of the S.S.U. as the English ambulance sections were already referred to as S.S.A. or Section Sanitaire Anglais.  The acronym T.M.U. was used on connection with the American Transport or camion sections recruited from late arriving American Field Service volunteers, (In the summer of 1917).  T.M.U. stood for Transport Militaire Unis .  

Here is a list of all of the volunteer Ambulance and Camion Sections that became US Army ambulance and transportation sections

American Field Service Sections that became US Army Ambulance Sections with the French Army.

S.S.U. 1 became U.S. Army S.S.U. 625

S.S.U. 2 became U.S. Army S.S.U 626

S.S.U. 3 returned from the Balkans and was disbanded in November 1917

S.S.U. 4 became U.S. Army S.S.U. 627

S.S.U. 8 became U.S. Army S.S.U. 628

S.S.U. 9 became U.S. Army S.S.U. 629

The Vosges Detachment was disbanded in August 1917

S.S.U. 10 returned from the Balkans and was disbanded

S.S.U. 12 became U.S. Army S.S.U. 630

S.S.U. 13 became U.S. Army S.S.U. 631

S.S.U. 14 became U.S. Army S.S.U. 632

S.S.U. 15 became U.S. Army S.S.U. 633

S.S.U. 16 became U.S. Army S.S.U. 634

S.S.U. 17 became U.S. Army S.S.U. 635

S.S.U. 18 became U.S. Army S.S.U. 636

S.S.U. 19 became U.S. Army S.S.U. 637

S.S.U. 20 – (Training Camp Section, The Old Mill)

S.S.U. 26 became U.S. Army S.S.U. 638

S.S.U. 27 became U.S. Army S.S.U. 639

S.S.U. 28 became U.S. Army S.S.U. 640

S.S.U. 64 Disbanded

S.S.U. 65 became U.S. Army S.S.U. 622

S.S.U. 29 Disbanded, cars taken over by S.S.U. 71

S.S.U. 66 became U.S. Army S.S.U. 623

S.S.U. 67 became U.S. Army S.S.U. 624

S.S.U. 68 became U.S. Army S.S.U. 621

S.S.U. 69 merged with S.S.U. 26 becoming U.S. Army S.S.U. 638

S.S.U. 30 combined with S.S.U. 18 and became U.S. Army S.S.U. 642

S.S.U. 70 became U.S. Army S.S.U. 636 (took over Fords of S.S.U. 18)

S.S.U. 31 became U.S. Army S.S.U. 643

S.S.U. 71 merged with S.S.U. 29 and became U.S. Army S.S.U. 641

S.S.U. 32 became U.S. Army S.S.U. 644

S.S.U. 33 became U.S. Army S.S.U. 645

S.S.U. 72 became U.S. Army S.S.U. 639

Norton-Harjes units that became USAAS Sections

S.S.U. 5 – merged with S.S.U. 24 and became S.S.U. 646 (Harjes Formation)

S.S.U. 7 – Disbanded Norton

S.S.U. 11 – Norton

S.S.U. 21 – 

S.S.U. 22 – 

S.S.U. 23

S.S.U. 24 - merged with S.S.U. 5 and became S.S.U. 646

S.S.U. 57 – 

S.S.U. 58 - 

S.S.U. 59 –

S.S.U. 60 - 

S.S.U. 61 – 

S.S.U. 62 – 

S.S.U. 63 – 

T.M.U. Units of the Reserve Mallet

T.M.U – 133 Group Erhardt

·      Section E – University of California

·      Section F -  Princeton University

T.M.U – 184 Group Meyer

·      Section G – Dartmouth University

·      Section H – Tufts College

·      Section I – Marietta College

·      Section M – Buffalo College

T.M.U – 363 - ?

T.M.U. – 397 Group Hémart

·      Section 397

·      Section 210

·      Section 242

·      Section 155

T.M.U – 526 Group Genin

·      Section A- Cornell University

·      Section B- Andover University

·      Section C- Dartmouth University

·      Section D – Misc.

T.M.U – 527 - ?

T.M.U – 537 - ?

Notice how all of the pre-US Federalized S.S.U. sections are in the 600's?

• 2 weeks later...
Sailorjerry45

You've got a killer group! I've been searching for something similar for a while now but have had little luck.

• 1 year later...

Can anyone tell me if these USAAS (SSU) units qualified for "battle" clasps for the Victory medal? If they were attached to French divisions as such, were they deemed eligible, or just qualified for "France" clasps?

I have a group of medals to an (older) guy who was a Clerk at Princeton and enlisted in June 1917 as a Sergeant in the USA MD. He was shipped out to France December 17, served with SSU 624 and was invalided (shell shock) in August 1918. He seems to have known and served with a lot of students from Yale and Princeton who had previously been with the AFS - his buddy on ambulance duty was severley wounded in June 1918 at Noyons, and was later awarded a CdeG - BUT I cannot fathom out despite cross-referencing etc with other men, what or whether my man was entitled to clasps on his Victory medal if he had only served with French Army units as such....

Any help appreciated!

Thx

Roy

• 1 month later...
skydancer506

There's a lot of great information here, so thanks for providing that (as I just stumbled upon this thread over a year later). 

I wanted to ask the question if anybody knows about S.S.U. 607. There is a WWI veteran who is buried in my hometown's cemetery who served with that section. I'm trying to find more information about the section, but can't seem to find much. I do have the following in a biography listing in a book about Harvard Soldiers in the Great War that (my notes, not direct quote): 

Section 607 was assigned to the 107th Sanitary Train, 32nd Division, April 26, 1918 on Alsace front. Later on duty in Paris. Raymond Henshaw Greenman, Harvard student, assigned to section.

It does not appear in any of the lists with the U.S. Divisions in Volume 8 of "The Medical Department of the United States Army in the World War." There was mention about the A.A.S. companies (125, 126, 127 and 128) getting augmented by French ambulance units. I will assume, for the time being, that S.S.U. 607 was one of those four French ambulance sections assigned, Does anybody have any idea of what the previous unit designation was, prior to the reconstitution of the ambulances under American control?