D-Bail Set on eBay

Burning Hazard

It’s a fantastic group and if I had the money I would have spent no expense to preserve this history and I think veterans would be honored that someone was willing to do it.

Burning Hazard

Helmet is original D-Bail that has been repaired by brazing - the OD3 chinstraps are also 100% correct with M2 nickel snaps. If I had the money I would of gone for this lot as well.

Still a bit sad that the whole grouping is being broken up though.

Pat

3 hours ago, Burning Hazard said:

Helmet is original D-Bail that has been repaired by brazing - the OD3 chinstraps are also 100% correct with M2 nickel snaps. If I had the money I would of gone for this lot as well.

Still a bit sad that the whole grouping is being broken up though.

Pat

Yeah.  It’s a seriously amazing group.  Or was, probably.

On 2/20/2022 at 5:03 PM, Burning Hazard said:

Helmet is original D-Bail that has been repaired by brazing - the OD3 chinstraps are also 100% correct with M2 nickel snaps.

Pat, I do not collect M-1s but weren't the M-2s from a certain lot # range and specific mfg? Besides being from a vets estate, is there a way it can be confirmed that this was an original M-2 and not a repaired FB M-1? I saw no close ups of the heat stamp.

In other words, if this shell was sold on eBay without the connection to the grouping in other auctions would all be sure of the M-2's originality?

Thanks in advance,

Dave

I think the key here is the width of the existing loops.  The feet of the M2 loops were slightly farther apart than on a regular FB, so as long as the loops are as wide as M2 loops and there is no evidence of narrower loops, it is most likely a repaired M2.