Navy and Marine Corps Achievement Medal, question?

digi-shots

I was reading a Navy veteran’s notation for this medal given in 1971..  military unit: 04711, regiment: Fleet, Action: Meritorious

Is there a distinction between achievement and combat related?  (Reference the mention of Meritorious Action?) Merit vs Valor?

Does “Meritorious” mean medal only, vs. “Valor” with V device?  Where does “Achivement” come into play?

The veteran in question was assigned to UDT21.  Any idea of what Military unit 04711 is?

I am confused with this particular medal and how it was awarded.. reminds me of bronze star given to some for Valor (V device) - which I understand

Thanks for your comments!

From what I have read and learned the "NAM" was held in quite high regard in it's early days, it being the sole personal award after a long career for some individuals.

Here is a link of some citation examples from both the Vietnam Era and present day. 

The modern citation of a NAM with "V" to a Lance Corporal USMC still shows the award is quite prestigious in the Corps.

Jeff

It is like the Bronze star with V. From Marines perspective, receiving the NAM without the V is for something you did that is not combat related usually for a job well done behind a desk. I can say that the NAM without a V is not very prestigious as it's fairly common. 

Seeing a NAM with the V is a lot more rare and then it becomes prestigious. 

Thanks for all the replies.  I understand the”V” for valor.

Here is a notation I found while searching.  It does not say “Valor” or “Achievement”.

Would this “NAM” for “Meritorious” achievement medal have a “V” or not?

Thanks!

C52CC0C6-053D-4A12-AE6D-F58D8A085846.jpeg

Quick follow up…. Just read that the V device was not authorized until January 1991.  So, if you are looking at ribbons or medals awarded before this date, you won’t see a V regardless of why the medal was awarded.

It was awarded under the meritorious service category.  Why the  document doesn’t state that exactly versus meritorious is a guess, but could just be an admin thing

Check out SECNAV M-1650.1 August 2019 Navy and Marine Corps Awards Manual

1 hour ago, digi-shots said:

Decwriter… so “Meritorious” would call for a “V”, right?

thanks!

No. There are two types of action that warrant a NAM...a single action (referred to as an "impact" award), or a sustained period of service (meritorious).

A combat distinguishing device (the now-obsolete "V" device, often erroneously referred to as a "valor device") can be authorized for either type of action, is stated at the end of the warrant, and is not in itself a type of action.

So this medal would have been awarded for a sustained period of service, such as an entire tour or deployment. It's possible it was authorized a device, but that screenshot is not enough to determine if it did.

'04711' sounds like his specific unit's Reporting Unit Code (RUC). You would need to find a copy of the period RUC manual to determine what it specifically referenced, as these numbers are constantly reassigned as units stand up and down

• 1 month later...
ItemCo16527
On 2/24/2022 at 7:32 AM, digi-shots said:

Quick follow up…. Just read that the V device was not authorized until January 1991.  So, if you are looking at ribbons or medals awarded before this date, you won’t see a V regardless of why the medal was awarded.

I think that was actually the resurrection of the Combat "V" for the NAM. I've seen a bunch of Vietnam War NAMs with the Combat "V" device (famed actor / military technical advisor Capt. Dale Dye received one). I think sometime after Vietnam, the Navy Department did away with the "V" device for the NAM and then brought it back during Desert Storm. For the life of me, I can't remember where I read that. The "V" device was actually created around late 1945 or early 1946.

Edit: I just remembered that a distant cousin of mine, MGYSGT Robert W. Kruger, USMC, received an NAM w/ Combat "V" in Vietnam. Source

Not sure if it matters but the person in question was a member of a UDT team (served thru WWII and up into the early 1970’s).

He received an Armed Forces Expeditionary Medal and not a Vietnam Service Medal.

1 hour ago, digi-shots said:

Not sure if it matters but the person in question was a member of a UDT team (served thru WWII and up into the early 1970’s).

He received an Armed Forces Expeditionary Medal and not a Vietnam Service Medal.

Unit doesn't matter...he still could have earned it with or without 'V' no matter which unit he was assigned to

Wharfmaster

I have a Vietnam medal group to a Recon Marine that was awarded only one decoration, the NAM.

He served from 1955 to 1975.  Muster Roll, Oct. 1958 confirms 1st Recon Bn, 1st Marine Division.

The following is exactly as found in Navy and Marine Decorations, 1942-1994.

Date: 21 Aug 1971

Type of Medal: Navy Achievement Medal (With Combat V)

Military Unit: 11701

Military Regiment: Fleet

Action: Meritorious

Awarded By: Commanding General U.S. Marine Corps Forces Pacific

W

ItemCo16527

Just to clarify things, for the Army and Air Force, the "V" device always denoted the award was for Valor.

For the Navy and Marine Corps, it was the "combat distinguishing device" indicating the award was earned in combat conditions. It didn't matter if the award was for valor or meritorious service/achievement, the "V" device was awarded if the medal was awarded for combat situations. The Navy changed the regulations a while back, and the "V" device is now for valor awards only.

39 minutes ago, ItemCo16527 said:

The Navy changed the regulations a while back, and the "V" device is now for valor awards only.

No, as of 2016, the "V" device is no longer authorized for achievement medals