US Navy signal lights age unknown

albatrosdva

I am buying two US navy signal lights and I was wondering if any of you could tell me more about them. I don't know the age although they appear to be old and I am curious about their function. I wouldn't think that they were on big ships because big ones had bigger lights I would think but that may be flawed logic. I found a picture of a similar signal light like the black one on a WWII sub. The gray one has serial number 50 so I was also wondering if this was the total number or if it was simply the 50th made by that company. Any information you can give me is appreciated. I will list some pictures now and some later on this evening.

thanks in advance

Sam

post-4475-1234890790.jpg

These hand-held signal lights are often called "Aldis lamps," although that term is sometimes also used for the larger signal lamps. I have read of the small ones being aboard not only ships and subs, but used in aircraft as well.

These hand-held signal lights are often called "Aldis lamps," although that term is sometimes also used for the larger signal lamps. I have read of the small ones being aboard not only ships and subs, but used in aircraft as well.

Thank you for the quick reply. I am going to be posting more pictures now so hopefully that will allow some of you all to identify the time period. The first few pictures are of the light already posted.

The box is very heavy and has a place to mount the signal lamp if you want. marked USN and has splattered navy gray paint on it. Name place is brass and blacked out.

post-4475-1234899306.jpg

second signal light. Has louvers instead of a trigger to blink the light. Box is well beaten but the USN and anchor is still visible

post-4475-1234899839.jpg

PaulsAirsoftArmory
front, broken glass

I like the Crouse-Hinds light! thumbsup.gif I am actually a small collector of Crouse-Hinds explosion proof lighting.