My first WW2 gun

Elliott R

I finally achieved a life goal I have been after for years at a gun show today. I bought this at a gun show. It has R A (assuming remmington armory) and 4-42 (assuming April 1942). I finally got the rifle I have been wanting for at least 5 years now. Now I have to figure out a way to hang it on my peg board. Any comments or info or advice are welcome!IMG_1177.JPG.e6cbd30c82245890ff9296ad79da1016.JPGIMG_1174.JPG.c62f3d6afec1773645462377464807c0.JPGIMG_1175.JPG.b13dd02fde2670dbc2b3cc31890acc55.JPGIMG_1176.JPG.6823c774d96e40878010a3a1ab455f24.JPG

Congratulations on a nice looking Remington '03 ! This a somewhat early rifle built with RIA tooling received by Remington at the start of production, which progressed to the 03A3 production later.

Barrel and receiver dates match perfectly according to this site  http://www.vishooter.net/m1903.html

Poke around this site for all things 1903.  Everything is documented by observed rifles and parts.

It will shoot well if your so inclined

Repeat 5 times rapidly- This my rifle, this is my gun, this one's for shooting, this one's for fun!!!     Good looking rifle and congrats on your first one.

Just now, GWS said:

Repeat 5 times rapidly- This my rifle, this is my gun, this one's for shooting, this one's for fun!!!     Good looking rifle and congrats on your first one.

thank you. I did say that when I bought it for the record.

OLDNAVYNUKESPOOK

I don't know what security you have, if any, but suggest that, at a minimum, you not dsplay it in such a way that it can be visible through a window.  Also, a good idea to remove the bolt and place it elsewhere.  

Marchville1918

It is a great looking rifle. I like the 03 myself.  The only thing I would mention is that the sling is on backwards. It is assembled correctly but should be reversed front to back so the hooks are pointing to the muzzle. The sling itself looks vintage and they are getting hard to find.

Congratulations! Great looking rifle! Your smile says it all! I bought my first WW II rifle (03A3) when I was 16, $120, but that was in 1976. Enjoy it! Now, you do realize you'll be looking for an M-1 Rifle soon, then an M-1 Carbine, then a M-1911A1 pistol. It Never ends! But it is a great ride!

Happy for you!

BKW

Ha Ha! I am aware. there was an M1 at the gun show next to this one. Almost bought that, but decided to put the 1k into some land instead. I already bought a bigger pegboard for more. I think next on my list is deffinitely an M1911.

Nice rifle, congrats. I agree, that's a great smile on your face. And perfectly understandable. My Dad carried one for a little while when he was in the army 1940-45. I'm not sure what he is holding in my avatar picture. 

Mikie

Brian Dentino

Congrats on the pick up, and it is a beauty!  Have fun taking her out to the range and punching holes in paper!  I would highly recommend your next purchase being a Garand, they are AWESOME to shoot and so much fun to let it "bark" on the range!  Congrats on your pick up, and that is one that I want to add to my collection as well.....along with a 1911 or A1, but all in good time I suppose!

Thanks guys. I had wanted one for a long time and I saw that one on a table next to some british rifles and as soon as I saw it I knew that was the one. I guess thats just how it is. I really like them because of the history they have and their reputation among snipers for their accuracy. 

purchase a nice fitting set of white cotton dinner serving gloves.  wear them while handling the rifle and showing it.  it keeps the rifle clean of finger prints and acid from fingers. purchase other pair of gloves for guest you trust to handle the weapon.

have fun

Congratulations!   They are nice rifles and they are very accurate generally speaking.   I have a lot of new black and plastic stuff, but nothing beats the warmness of a wood stock and the simplicity of the design that is extremely dependable and proven in battle conditions.  Every time you look at it you can remember a time when the country came together, the men an women that manufactured and handled your gun, the guys that may have used it, and the places it may have been? 

Now you're the custodian of this particular piece of history!  Shoot it, enjoy it, and let it take you back in time to a guy and place 80 years ago who may have shot it for the first time?  I'm sure it won't be the last one you purchase. 

Well done young man!

I'm a firm believer in obtaining a quality reference book with every firearm purchase (preferably before the firearm purchase). Educate yourself on what you're looking for and you'll never go wrong.  Good luck in your future collecting!

what is the best grain of 30-06 for it? I was planning on getting 175. If I recall correctly, the original round was a 152 grain M2, but I think 175 would be pretty accurate.  I have shot WW2 rifles at shows before and I guess never thought to ask what grain the ammo was

It was designed for the M2. I would think 175 would be punishing on the shoulder in short order.

Some avid shooters reload with 125 gr. with good results .

2 minutes ago, Elliott R said:

Can I oil it with the same oil I use for my hunting rifle? I would assume so I just want to make sure that im not damaging anything

I use Rem Oil on the overall, Hoppes in the bore, and occasionally CLP on rifles that have condition issues under the wood line. Barring using abrasives on the exterior, you won't hurt the condition of your rifle. Great looking 03 and one of my favorite models!

• 3 weeks later...

Congrats on that addition to the family!!

I love that shinola eating grin you have on your face.

Pure Joy!!!

Semper Fi

Phil

• 1 month later...

So I ran out of my loaded ammo supply from my grandfather. He was basically making the original round for me and I ran out of all the ammo I bought from him. I was wondering if shooting manufactured 150 grain is a bad idea or if the gun will be fine. I hear shooting manufactured ammo out of a Garand is a bad idea but I think that has to do with the action rod which is the semi-auto function of the Garand. Obviously the 1903 is bolt action so I don't know if it has the same issue

150 gr. is fine in the 1903. A flat base bullet will be most accurate. 

The Garand will also shoot these well. You could run into problems with heavy 200-220 gr. bullets bending the oprod in the Garand.

Sounds like you're enjoying it!

• 1 month later...

Thought I would give you guys an update on this 03. Took it to my uncles range today and I have some 03 ASMR sounds in that video and I uploaded a picture of my shot group at 100 yards with the iron sights. (Edit) Video did not work so if you know how to put an iPhone video on here let me know 

4425056B-91D2-426D-AAE1-3CEA81A6101C.jpeg