Original US Fieldbed WWII 1945?

S1991

Hi all,

I'm not sure if I put this topic in the right forum, but I'll give it a shot.

I can get this fieldbed and I'm not sure if it is US WW2, is there maybe someone who can help me?

This is what stands on the bed:

ery manufacturing co

w-11-009-om35379

mar 1945

Here are the pictures:

And if it is a original fieldbed, how much would it be worth then?

Thanks,

Silvano

craig_pickrall

It is missing the 2 end bars that would be almost impossible to find now. It looks like atleast one of the stapeled on web straps that secures it when folded is also missing. I think I can see where it was drilled for the insect net frame but that frame is not part of your photo.

With a 3/45 date on it then it has to be military.

I'm not sure what current price is on these but I think you can probably find a complete one in better condition if you look a little longer. Personally I don't think I would pay more than $15 or $20 for that one.

PaulsAirsoftArmory
It is missing the 2 end bars that would be almost impossible to find now. It looks like atleast one of the stapeled on web straps that secures it when folded is also missing. I think I can see where it was drilled for the insect net frame but that frame is not part of your photo.

With a 3/45 date on it then it has to be military.

I'm not sure what current price is on these but I think you can probably find a complete one in better condition if you look a little longer. Personally I don't think I would pay more than $15 or $20 for that one.

They can't be that hard to find! I was at the Iola Wisconsin Military Swap Meet 1 year ago and found a guy with around 100+ end bars for WW2 era cots at $3 each, and many complete WW2 cots that were $60 each. They were in excellent condition. I was looking for some end bars because my cot (a $3 resale shop deal) never had any. It had not been properly stored for the past 60 years, and the first time I laid down on it, I fell through! crying.gif I eventually found a nylon replacement sheet for $20 that I have used since. I prefer the older wooden cots to the newer aluminum cots because I find them easier to assemble.

craig_pickrall

You need to be careful when buying cot parts. There have been foreign copies made for the last 30 or so years that look the same but when trying to fit the cross bars at the end the copies are a couple of inches short. You may find US GI wooden parts but I would consider that very lucky. The US switched to the aluminum version during Vietnam so the wood cots haven't been made for about 40 years for the military.

Silvano - seems like months and months ago a forum member posted a thread showing how he manufactured new end bars himself. Try a search and see if you can find the thread. Maybe that will help you out?

General Apathy

post-344-1234946047.jpg

Hi Silvano, Looking at your bed I think it is complete, the two end-bars (stretcher bars ) that initially appear to be missing have been packed into the left-hand side frame tunnels, and can be seen protruding out the front end in the attached photo.

Whoever set the bed up for the photo has not completed the task by removing the end-bars (stretcher-bars ) and putting them into position.

Speak to the seller and ask him about the two end bars, they appear to be with the bed.

Cheers ( Lewis )

Hi all,

Here are some extra photographs of the bed.

As you can see it has the endbars. How much would this fieldbed be worth now?

Thanks,

Silvano

As you can see it has the endbars. How much would this fieldbed be worth now?

Thanks,

Silvano

I was kind of amazed to see that on Ebay even cots from the 1950's are selling for $50-60 and ones from the war for up to $90. My own viewpoint is that something made in 1945 should be considered having been made too late to actually have been used during the war and thus is not worth as much as something made in say 1943 or 44 (provided your goal is to collect period gear).

craig_pickrall
post-344-1234946047.jpg

Hi Silvano, Looking at your bed I think it is complete, the two end-bars (stretcher bars ) that initially appear to be missing have been packed into the left-hand side frame tunnels, and can be seen protruding out the front end in the attached photo.

Whoever set the bed up for the photo has not completed the task by removing the end-bars (stretcher-bars ) and putting them into position.

Speak to the seller and ask him about the two end bars, they appear to be with the bed.

Cheers ( Lewis )

Ken, good eye on spotting the end bars. That certainly added some value to the cot.

General Apathy
Ken, good eye on spotting the end bars. That certainly added some value to the cot.

Hi Craig, thanks for the comment on my observation, however have to wear eye glasses now as the eyesight is not so good as it used to be. I can recall when friends used to pass comments on me finding things they had sometimes missed

such as how in hell did you see that ' hawkeye'.

Cheers ( Lewis )