Authentic B9?

C.G.

I'd say "yes". Under the War Supply Contracts list, Reed Products, Inc. of Milwaukee Wisconsin made them from November 1943 - February 1944, shown as "Flying Clothes".

Untitled.jpg

There has been confusion about the quilted linings being civilian and I guess I have never really figured it out as solid. The labels tend to be the issue on civi versions where they can't get the mfg or spec number correct. That may have been an intentional thing to prevent them from appearing to be competing with contractors but I'm not sure if that was even an issue.

15 minutes ago, dmar836 said:

There has been confusion about the quilted linings being civilian and I guess I have never really figured it out as solid. The labels tend to be the issue on civi versions where they can't get the mfg or spec number correct. That may have been an intentional thing to prevent them from appearing to be competing with contractors but I'm not sure if that was even an issue.

Can you clarify what you mean by "confusion about the quilted linings"? The type designation sheet for the B-9 jacket specifically says "quilted casing filed with feathers".

Agreed. It's just something I have seen said when these are posted. I have one or two with quilted linings. I could never wrap my head around the assumption. Perhaps they are not recognizing the difference between the B-11, 9, etc. and assume all should be alpaca? I'd be happy if I was the only one who has ever remembered hearing this but there was a lot of that on VLJ back in the day. As I mentioned, the label is where I have seen issues with cloth flight clothing so either post-war contracts not matching the WWII labels or civi clones.

Dave