Hold my hat.........

Fixbayonets!

.......'till I get back!

This envelope was mailed home as a sweetheart piece, postmarked October, 1944.  The envelope contains an exact miniature sized version of a garrison cap, complete with Army Air Force branch of service piping.  The cap measures 5 1/4 inches long X 2 1/2 inches high.  If the cap was found by itself one might think it was made for a doll but in this case having the envelope tells the story!  Last photo shows the mini next to his full sized big brother for a better idea of scale.  Thanks for checking it out.   

minicap1.jpg

minicap2.jpg

minicap3.jpg

minicap4.jpg

minicap5.jpg

minicap6.jpg

tdogchristy90

That’s pretty neat. I take it based on the production of the envelope and the “hold my hat” printing, it was a mass produced item, not necessarily custom?

Now that's cool.  Its great that you have the shipping envelope with it.  Hey, if it was a Marine cap, the envelope would be a cover cover.  

Mikie

Yes, I think it is a safe bet to say it was mass produced and bought in a PX.  This is the first one I have ever come across, I am not sure how common they are.  Perhaps someone might have more info on these or have photos of other examples?   

That's cool-  for those who may not get it, the "hold my hat" expression was kind of like today's "hold my beer"- meaning that you are about to go kick some butt and then be back for it. A nice sentiment for the homefront people.