Dewey Medal belonging to Captain Charles Vernon Gridley

71Mach

I recently purchased a first expedition Byrd Bronze medal grouping from a collector friend of mine and he shared a really historic Dewey Medal with me belonging to Captain Charles Vernon Gridley. I felt privileged to even see a piece of history like that so I thought it should be shared. My buddy told me it took 10 years to acquire the medal but after a ton of leads and dead ends it finally led to a local antique dealer and the purchase of the medal. The antique dealer purchased it from a Gridley relative. Pictured is the Dewey Medal, original ribbon and case, picture of Gridley as a young boy (left), the seller didn't know who the other young child was in pic,...commemorative Dewey Medal and some other Dewey items. Hope the forum enjoys.

Gridley Grouping 1.jpg

Gridley Grouping 4.jpg

Gridley Grouping 6.jpg

Gridley Grouping 7.jpg

Gridley Grouping 8.jpg

Gridley Grouping 9.jpg

Gridley Grouping 5.jpg

Gridley Grouping 3.jpg

Gridley Grouping 2.jpg

A little more info on how it was acquired 

…..the Gridley relative gave the medal and other items to a neighbor. The medal was purchased from the Gridley Neighbor. I have also attached a souvenir plate named to Katrina V. Gridley  from a dinner that was given by the Union League Club of Brooklyn hosted for the Admiral and Mrs. Dewey on 2/8/1900. 

9808547A-3DA1-42F5-84F7-10C1F3F8F82A.jpeg

D1EABB68-3BF6-4CEF-A5F0-BA97ABE32F1A.jpeg

85043BD8-F757-4835-B441-D0C69B597C34.jpeg

31EBE3B9-7B16-42CA-9B56-9A3A25306F6D.jpeg

"You may fire when you are ready,  Gridley" is in the Top 5 or 6 famous American Naval orders (or quotations), and arguably the most consequential since it commenced the most successful (even if one-sided) battle victory in the history of the United States Navy.   The aftermath?  Zero American combat deaths,  a handful of minor injuries,  a dozen enemy ship's sunk, its Pacific fleet wiped out and America became a global superpower literally overnight.  Glory days of yore.  The Boys of '98 nailed it.

https://www.history.navy.mil/browse-by-topic/heritage/famous-navy-quotations.html

FIRE WHEN READY GRIDLEY USS OLYMPIA.jpg

• 5 months later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...