Union officer’s buckle

willysproject

I believe this is an Indian War period belt plate, I'm not the expert, but the chicken or buzzard type looking eagle was typical of IW period. Also the rear catch looks very wide, more so than Civil War period ones I've seen.  Either way its a nice buckle. I like it, I looked in Todd's Military Equipage 1851-1872, none had a rear catch like yours. This type plate was worn from 1851 to 1940 in different variations. 

Others collectors of this time period my chime in. 

It's a Civil War officer's belt plate. The 1851 pattern. Don't worry about the width of the belt hook. Officer's plates are commercially made and could vary somewhat by maker. The belt loop being one piece with the plate and fashioned as a side bar is one of the immediately identifiable traits, as is the wreath being cast as part of the plate rather than separately applied is another. The buckle pictured above on a buff leather belt is the mid to late war enlisted version with the one-piece nickel or German silver wreath separately applied. The commercial versions usually have higher quality die work and would be gilt and silver washed, but that goes through handling, leaving the enlisted plates looking flashier.

14 hours ago, Steve Rogers said:

It's a Civil War officer's belt plate. The 1851 pattern. Don't worry about the width of the belt hook. Officer's plates are commercially made and could vary somewhat by maker. The belt loop being one piece with the plate and fashioned as a side bar is one of the immediately identifiable traits, as is the wreath being cast as part of the plate rather than separately applied is another. The buckle pictured above on a buff leather belt is the mid to late war enlisted version with the one-piece nickel or German silver wreath separately applied. The commercial versions usually have higher quality die work and would be gilt and silver washed, but that goes through handling, leaving the enlisted plates looking flashier.

Thanks for the update Steve - I was wrong as I was concentrating on the width of the belt hook - thx again!

Not a problem-- who can keep track of everything!? By the way, that's a nice looking plate you illustrated as part of the discussion. The matching bench numbers are tough to get!

Steve,

thx for the comment - was lucky to get the belt plate, keeper and leather belt near Gettysburg

question - what would the keeper look like from the OP's plate? 

The reason i ask is i have overlooked this plate as not civil war, now i will look from these from my collection

30 minutes ago, mdk0911 said:

Steve,

thx for the comment - was lucky to get the belt plate, keeper and leather belt near Gettysburg

question - what would the keeper look like from the OP's plate? 

The reason i ask is i have overlooked this plate as not civil war, now i will look from these from my collection

I think I found it - is this correct?

120947110_3_x.webp

• 1 year later...

I picked up one of these late civil war belt plates and it's correct keeper at the local flea market this weekend. It's still attached to a civilian type leather belt I would suppose. Got it pretty cheap!

IMG_20230903_0849481442.jpg.202f06d164b779ae86e3283c536026de.jpgIMG_20230903_0850365342.jpg.1286984675319281571f50a8d789b076.jpgIMG_20230903_0849412762.jpg.38b9e399983e4cee154c55634b831da3.jpg