WWII Operation Torch 9th Division Posthumous Distinguished Service Cross to Alfred Sharff

Frank_Smith

This WWII posthumous DSC comes on a wrap broach mounted ribbon. It is nicely hand engraved on two lines to, "Alfred/Sharff". The medal is numbered "5349" on the bottom arm of the cross.

Second Lieutenant Alfred Sharff was from Portland, Oregon. On 8 November 1942, he was serving with Company E, 60th Infantry, 9th Infantry Division. He received the DSC for actions that day with the following citation: “When the advance of our troops was held up, Lieutenant Sharff went forward with a runner to reconnoiter enemy machine gun positions. Attaining an exposed vantage position, he sent the runner back with the information obtained and remained in his position, despite being under heavy fire. Although his position was untenable, Lieutenant Sharff engaged the enemy with fire and created a diversion that enabled our troops to capture the enemy position and take fifteen prisoners. His gallant actions cost Lieutenant Sharff his life.”

Lieutenant Sharff’s Purple Heart is in collectors' hands. In fact, I used to own it! I obtained the Purple Heart from Ed Maier in 2017. I then sold it to Dave Schwind and the medal is featured in his book. From there, Dave passed it on Scott Plenskofski who did the same to Robert Wilson. At that point, the trail goes cold. I thought I would post the medal here in hopes of locating the current owner as I believe the pair should be reunited. If anyone knows the location of the Purple Heart, please feel free to contact me.

Sharff_1.jpg

Sharff_2.jpg

Sharff_3.jpg

Sharff_4.jpg