Can someone help me identify this piece of militaria, which I believe is related to the Civil War?

Benjamin White

Benjamin White

Hi folks - My 2x great grandfather, Adam White, won the Congressional Medal of Honor for capturing a confederate flag at Hatcher's Run during the Petersburg campaign (just before Appomattox).  He was in the West Virginia 11th.  I just inherited a variety of militaria related to him and one of the pieces was handmade wooden heart with a metal crest attached to it.  There is a metal pin on the back of the wood.  So it was worn.  Can anyone help me to identify what it is?  What does U.C. mean?  Any help that you could provide would be much appreciated.

Ben White

pin3.png

Hi and welcome to the USMF!

The metal part looks to me like a saddle shield.  I don't know if it really is, or what the "U.C." stands for.  I've never seen one mounted on a piece of wood like that.  I'll defer to some other folks here with a lot more knowledge than I have. 

Please post some of the other items in your collection.  We can always use more Civil War items here!  

Mikie 

Benjamin White

Here are some of the other pieces that I received, which include GAR jacket buttons, hat pins, tattered ribbons that his regiment wore to the National Encampments, and his Honorable Discharge medal from the state of WV.  I like your idea of a saddle shield.  Its does seem close to that.  But I still don't know what U.C. stands for.  "Union cavalry"?  He was in the infantry, however.

2022-02-03 19.24.25.jpg

2022-02-03 19.26.39.jpg

2022-02-03 19.29.10.jpg

2022-02-03 19.34.07.jpg

2022-02-03 19.34.50.jpg

Benjamin White

268th C.A. - I really like that suggestion.  His regiment was part of the 24th corps during the Petersburg campaign in the days leading up to Appomattox.  In this scenario perhaps U.C. = Union Corps?  Likely would have been worn on his hat.