WWII Lt. Colonel Donald G. Williams - 2x Silver Star Recipient

Austin_Militaria

Austin_Militaria

Picked up this medal group named to Colonel Donald G. Williams a couple months ago from the estate of his wife. It was framed and sealed so I took a chance that some were named. I have been able to do a little online research and since he was a 1938 West Point Graduate it was a little easier. He received two silver stars while the Battalion Commander of the 25th Armored Engineer Battalion. One at the battle of Metz, and the other during the battle of the bulge I believe. I have not been able to find the exact citations for both Silver Stars but have found him mentioned in some history of the 25th that narrowed down where he received them.

The Silver Star is a nice early BB&B, the number may be mentioned in the 6th Armored Division General order citations, but I doubt it.

20220204_110917_resized.jpg

20220204_110922_resized.jpg

20220204_110926_resized.jpg

20220204_110930_resized.jpg

20220204_110937_resized.jpg

20220204_110943_resized.jpg

20220204_110950_resized.jpg

easterneagle87

I love foreign awards to US personnel, so lay out the picture.   AND ... I did a pretty good search before asking 😉

1. Looks like a Legion of Honour, but has a crown and not a face? Whose is it?

2. WW2 Croix d Guerre

3. Belgium War Cross

4. Great medal, but whose and what is it? 

Austin_Militaria
46 minutes ago, Hermanus said:

The last one was awarded during the Korean war. Did he serve there?

Regards 

Herman 

Yes, He went to Korea as an advisor to the Chief of staff of the 1st ROK Army.

WP_williams.jpg.de67bf0110734ca0decfa288606fbf90.jpg

Thanks for the information.

If he served in Korea I am missing an US Korean Campaign medal and the UN Korean Service medal in his group.

Regards

Herman 

easterneagle87

The bio says he served in Korea. Also says he worked out at the Hanford Atomic Reservation outside of Richland, WA. Am well of Hanford having grown up in Eastern Washington. This guy was a true  Cold War Atomic warrior. 

Hello Austin,

If you can give the number on the back of the Korean Ulchi, I can find the issue date on this medal, so we might know if he received it during or post Korean war.

Sampo

Hi, found him, he started with KMAG in July 1954 and served through November 1955. His ULCHI with silver star is registered issued on the 24th of November 1955.

Take care

Sampo

• 2 weeks later...

Hello 4starchris,

I used my Korean list of the order of military merit. It is in Korean so I always have to translate the names, but having numbers might help, as they are written the same, as the Western world does. I just checked the number in the list, and if it is there I can easily translate the name. Also it states the issue date and the unit were the recipient has served. By research on the Korean order of military merit I know that after the Korean war, the medals were 95% issued in the last month of presence in the area of operations. The article on the colonel stated he had served for 16 months in KMAG. So KMAG checked out, so did his name. It was issued in November 1955, deduct 16 months and you have the entry month. I can search by number, date, Branch or Name(takes a bit more time).

Hope this helps!

Take care

Sampo

• 1 month later...