$80 M1 Front Seam - Should I do it?

Ryan Reese

18 hours ago, Ryan Reese said:

Good morning!

I’m still fairly new to collecting WW2 stuff but I know that I’ve wanted a front seam M1 for a while now. I just stumbled upon one marked for $80. It has the Pennsylvania National Guard 28th Infantry Division markings on the front. It does come with a liner that has the complete webbing but the leather strap and chin strap are missing. Both metal, square rings are present on the helmet though. 

Forgive me for the lack of photos and possibly incorrect verbiage. 

Should I jump on it? It seems like a good deal. 

006E25B3-7931-4579-9922-1068E162F2AC.jpeg

Run back  🏃‍♂️ 

Good morning gentlemen. Thanks again for all of the information and support. I feel very welcomed as a new collector and think I have a great addition to my WW2 collection. 

Here she is… Please let me know if I need to look for any others markings or key identification factors. 

B9E2DD3D-7D52-47D2-BD5D-A15907BEA94B.jpeg

3D35D767-6015-4787-9107-83A38C0022F5.jpeg

56B93EA9-8F5A-4510-A4A3-97E5F751A0B3.jpeg

ADEBF763-2CC8-4968-BBF2-9F2E9ADDA43C.jpeg

66E378A1-6C57-4E88-A4B6-547D898377B7.jpeg

May I be so bold to suggest going outside and taking a picture in the shade and even though your not getting direct sunlight make sure the helmet insignia are facing the sun.

And if it’s cloudy make sure the insignia face the sun.

Its my experience that this method will result in bright pictures, that are more in focus, can be enlarged and will give a more accurate representation of what they actually look like.

On the other hand it still looks good with the pics you provided.

Airborne-Hunter

The liner alone looks fine for $80. The shell is a bonus. I think the insignia looks fine. I think you found a real winner here.

Burning Hazard

Great pickup!

I would also suggest grabbing a flashlight and carefully scanning the inside of the shell for any scratched names or laundry numbers, same with liner. Could potentially ID this one if there is a name.

Pat

I put clean, fresh water in a shell once and that popped a name and unit in pencil that is very hard to see otherwise - even now. No soaps or solvents!

Dave

On 2/5/2022 at 3:48 PM, CavalryCombatant said:

Nice clean liner, shell’s a schluter too.

Congratulations! 

Ryan, there were 2 primary makers of M1 shells in WW2, McCord Radiator and Schlueter. If it has a big S stamp like this one does, it's a Schlueter. 

2 hours ago, USMC_COLLECTOR said:

A very nice liner but I think a straight WW2 liner or WW2 liner with a painted keystone would be best.

The liner you posted could work but I’m fairly certain the lid is from the 1945 era which would require a liner without decals.

USMC_COLLECTOR

Yes. I believe it has a Korean war decal... So it is probably a Korean war lid.

8 hours ago, manayunkman said:

A very nice liner but I think a straight WW2 liner or WW2 liner with a painted keystone would be best.

The liner you posted could work but I’m fairly certain the lid is from the 1945 era which would require a liner without decals.