Airbornehunter's 2022 Finds

Airborne-Hunter

Airborne-Hunter
On 2/16/2022 at 1:36 PM, Luxview said:

Interesting that the Luxemburgish flag is not correct. Could be that the artist got confused by the similarity with the Dutch one (they are both red/white/blue, only difference is a different shade of blue)?

But what a perfect start of the year !!

I don't believe the Scotland flag is correct either. But I have been in touch with the family. The vet had this bag painted by an artist in Paris at the end of the war. ABN

Airborne-Hunter

February 17, 2022 - My understanding is this was found in a desk drawer during a clean out and brought into a second hand store. The owner likes me and called me up. The medal is not engraved, but came with two clippings. I can't find anything on the guy. Each clipping has a different spelling of his name (due to his mother's name being the same), but I can't come up with anything for either and I thought it might be short for Christian or Christopher, but I still can't find anything on the guy. Assuming 1st Marine Division, September 23, 1944 is Peleliu. 

2-17-22.jpg

On 2/1/2022 at 10:21 PM, Airborne-Hunter said:

While I was picking up the above helmet, I got a phone call. The man said come get it because he'd "hate to see it go in the garbage." After I got there, I found out the 3 photo albums and misc paper already were in the garbage. I actually dumped the whole garbage can out on the driveway to save everything I could. January 31, 2022.

IMG_E0433.JPG

It's certainly not the flag of Scotland, it looks more like the flag of the Republic of Ireland, to be honest.

Here's your marine - draft card -

image.png.87f0f69f725527f18ac7fc16ca43b7ea.png

image.png.fe389e6b5d4f9f85122849d8fdbf7266.png

From ancestry - list of wounded from Marine Corps -

image.png.5081a00cdcfa6c62f2f16d3f70394328.png

From USMC muster rolls -

image.png.212644f373fb3340b8183b637afba4b5.png

image.png.c15204737c94828c0c6f22715fc96911.png

footnote A -

image.png.2fafae0de9f7011379ba268ea464dadd.png

image.png.d52886f22f8714a4b0a132d7b6bcac6a.png

image.png.a29dc3c75dd86fba221b93f37e29e2c0.png

footnote B

image.png.4c0c74b0ad1faeba0016a552cc49fba5.png

There are more muster reports om Ancestry.

Also from his casualty card info on ancestry -

Name: Christy Lincoln Williams

Casualty Date: 22 May 1945

Casualty Type: WIA

Unit: COE-1MEDBN-1MARDIV-FMF

Service Number: 839089

Collection: US Marine WWII Casualty Card Database

Item ID: 85953

On 2/15/2022 at 3:09 PM, Airborne-Hunter said:

February 13, 2022 - This was on a truck headed to the dump. The guy stopped for gas and started talking to a friend of mine and this got pulled off the truck. There's more supposedly, but this is all for now. Best ABN

IMG_0579.JPG

Man... Just the thought of how much of this stuff gets carelessly thrown away makes me both sick to my stomach and incredibly sad.

On 2/16/2022 at 2:36 PM, Luxview said:

Interesting that the Luxemburgish flag is not correct. Could be that the artist got confused by the similarity with the Dutch one (they are both red/white/blue, only difference is a different shade of blue)?

But what a perfect start of the year !!

Doesn’t the Dutch flag have more of an orange red?

• 2 weeks later...
Airborne-Hunter

March 6, 2022 - A flea market dealer I have worked a lot in the past ran across these at another flea market, bought them and brought them to the flea market I go to. The Jiggs is the 11th B.S. but the other one is unidentified as of yet. Best ABN

3-6-22 Alameda.jpg

• 3 weeks later...
Airborne-Hunter

March 11, 2022 - Estate Sale - a little more not shown, but the guy appears to have flown C-123's for Operation Igloo White. The flight helmet is a white air force example with camouflage green and brown. Best ABN

3-11-22 Movin On.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
eaglerunner88
On 2/1/2022 at 4:18 PM, Airborne-Hunter said:

WW2 US M1 Helmet w/ Japanese net. This came direct out of a barn yesterday. Still working on the vet's name. There might be more as well. - January 31, 2022. 

IMG_0438.JPG

IMG_0439.JPG

IMG_0440.JPG

IMG_0441.JPG

IMG_0442.JPG

IMG_0443.JPG

IMG_0444.JPG

Wow, make any headway on ID'ing this?

• 2 weeks later...
On 2/24/2022 at 11:18 AM, ShibaLegend said:

Man... Just the thought of how much of this stuff gets carelessly thrown away makes me both sick to my stomach and incredibly sad.

You've got that right! Huge amount of historically priceless items are buried in landfills. 

• 6 months later...
Airborne-Hunter

I've been very busy and not on the forum much. But I'm back and will be updating this thread. An utterly incredible amount of stuff has been coming out. 

First up:

4-6-22 -Craigslist - William Link half wing - the photo posted is the exact photo from craigslist

4-6-22 Craigslist.JPG

Airborne-Hunter

April 2022- American Field Service Group - Collecting is a two way street and military isn't the only thing I run across. So after I shuttled some stuff to a guy I know he grabbed this out of an estate and surprised me. He came back later this year with an even better find, but thats for later. ABN

4-10-22 John.jpg

Airborne-Hunter

4-18-22 - Complete M1 FB Hawley - A friend of mine referred me to another guy who found this either at the dump or headed to the dump.

4-18-22.jpg

Airborne-Hunter

4-22-22 - POW Pilot - Visiting friends out of a state when I got a call from one to go check out a local town-wide sale. Arriving late and in unseasonable heat, I stopped at the only gas station, got a soda and walked over to the first tent adjacent to the gas station. Pleasantly surprised to find this musty nugget.

4-22 antique show.jpg

Airborne-Hunter

4-30-22 - Estate Clean Out - The father went down on a British merchant ship in 1941. The son was killed carrying a stretcher under fire on Leyte. The medals were given to his mother. At her death they went to the niece and her husband. They had no kids and at their passing the medals wound up with me. Both medals are named. ABN

4-30-22.jpg