Airbornehunter's 2022 Finds

Airborne-Hunter

Airborne-Hunter

Last year I did a year in review thread and I thought I'd keep it going for 2022 with the more interesting finds. Everything shown is out of the woodwork somehow - Its still out there. Best ABN

First up, A-2 Flight Jacket - Flea Market - January 2nd

IMG_0176.JPG

IMG_0177.JPG

IMG_0178.JPG

IMG_0180.JPG

Airborne-Hunter

Brought back by a Veteran of the 110th Combat Engineers - referral - direct buy from the brother - January 20, 2022

GJQM1510.JPG

Airborne-Hunter

WW2 US M1 Helmet w/ Japanese net. This came direct out of a barn yesterday. Still working on the vet's name. There might be more as well. - January 31, 2022. 

IMG_0438.JPG

IMG_0439.JPG

IMG_0440.JPG

IMG_0441.JPG

IMG_0442.JPG

IMG_0443.JPG

IMG_0444.JPG

Airborne-Hunter

While I was picking up the above helmet, I got a phone call. The man said come get it because he'd "hate to see it go in the garbage." After I got there, I found out the 3 photo albums and misc paper already were in the garbage. I actually dumped the whole garbage can out on the driveway to save everything I could. January 31, 2022.

IMG_E0433.JPG

18 hours ago, Airborne-Hunter said:

Combat medic Ike Jacket - Flea Market - January 2, 2022

RVWRE3282.JPG

What was the patch on the opposite shoulder?

Airborne-Hunter
15 minutes ago, copper252 said:

Would you happen to know what unit the soldier was in that had the helmet with the Japanese net?

Still working on the vet's name for the moment....in due time

Aw man, good for you! My usual flea market haunt has been closed since the shutdown going on 2 years now.  

Keep up the good hunting and keep us posted on your finds.

Mikie

Airborne-Hunter

Thanks Ron, the help is much appreciated. I'm not sure I've heard of a VOF squadron before, but this one should prove to be an interesting research project. Apparently this one got dumped at a Good Will "dig" site and it came out of one of their infamous bins and then wound up at the flea market. Some of the other stuff that came out of the bin sounded pretty good, but no other military. Thank you ABN.

1 hour ago, Airborne-Hunter said:

Thanks Ron, the help is much appreciated. I'm not sure I've heard of a VOF squadron before, but this one should prove to be an interesting research project. Apparently this one got dumped at a Good Will "dig" site and it came out of one of their infamous bins and then wound up at the flea market. Some of the other stuff that came out of the bin sounded pretty good, but no other military. Thank you ABN.

Glad to help.

Great jacket and great save.

I have to give member Jeffro credit for the patch identification. I had mine for many years and never was able to ID it. 

On 2/3/2022 at 7:55 PM, Airborne-Hunter said:

Still working on the vet's name for the moment....in due time

Sounds good! I wonder what unit he may have been in with those nets. Maybe the 7th Division?

Airborne-Hunter

February 11, 2022 - This came out of an estate clean out in California and I would never have known about it had it not been for a friend who picked it up for me. I just got it late last night, but from an initial search it appears the vet is still alive at 102+. The 466th is the Belgian one I think. He started out as an enlisted guy, but appears to have been commissioned pretty quick because both tags (1 enlisted, 1 officer) are T45. The DI's appear German, don't have my books with me, but will get the unit later. Best ABN

JORM8212.JPG

Airborne-Hunter

February 13, 2022 - This was on a truck headed to the dump. The guy stopped for gas and started talking to a friend of mine and this got pulled off the truck. There's more supposedly, but this is all for now. Best ABN

IMG_0579.JPG

On 2/1/2022 at 11:21 PM, Airborne-Hunter said:

While I was picking up the above helmet, I got a phone call. The man said come get it because he'd "hate to see it go in the garbage." After I got there, I found out the 3 photo albums and misc paper already were in the garbage. I actually dumped the whole garbage can out on the driveway to save everything I could. January 31, 2022.

IMG_E0433.JPG

Interesting that the Luxemburgish flag is not correct. Could be that the artist got confused by the similarity with the Dutch one (they are both red/white/blue, only difference is a different shade of blue)?

But what a perfect start of the year !!