WW2 Aircraft Artwork ID Needed

Wooden5c

ANY IDEAS AS TO WHAT UNIT AND AIRCRAFT THIS IS FROM?  I got this from a an old guy - His father brought this and other items scavenged off of Guadalcanal.  Mostly there was battle damaged / environmental damaged Japanese items.  This aircraft panel is 12 inches tall by 6 3/4 inches across in size.  It has that blueish green color that many services used in the Pacific to somewhat match the ocean.  The reverse side is OG green over a yellow (protective coat?).  Written on the reverse side is "71ST BOMBER SQDN GUADALCANAL" in pencil This doesn't seem to jive with anything known in unit artwork.  I have asked some very knowledgeable squadron patch collectors, and even a college professor that specialized in Native American themed wartime depictions in artwork.  Many of the other items had written in pencil descriptions as well.  I was told it came off of a wrecked aircraft hulk.  It is damaged as the aluminum is pushed against the supporting ribs on the reverse side.  There is also a concussion or crash crack / split at 1 O:Clock on the yellow painted circle.  Has anyone seen either a like patch or something in a photograph?  ALSO, Any idea as to what aircraft this came off of?

BombSqdn.jpg

1BS5.jpg

1BS.jpg

1BS1.jpg

1BS2.jpg

1BS3.jpg

1BS4.jpg

Hello, That insignia is for VS-11/VB-21.  My uncle flew with this squadron during WWII. Steve

pararaftanr2

That panel is from a Douglas Dauntless SBD dive bomber. It can be found on the port side of the forward fuselage, just aft of the radio antennae mast, as seen in the photos below. As it could easily be removed and installed on another Dauntless, it was a popular place for artwork. If I recall correctly, it was an access door to fill the ammo for the cowl machine guns.

Copy of 3J1S8ICAORPBV6CAIUK99GCAJM8ATUCAJKWSRDCA8CIES5CALBM8.jpg

5def1d0fda37627b_large.jpg

pararaftanr2

Here you can see the hatch open on the salvaged SBD that was restored for the Naval Aviation Museum in Pensacola. It was also found on the starboard side for the right-hand cowl gun's .50 cal. ammo supply.

morgan-sbd-2.jpg

eded10045225cdf2_large.jpg