196th Pennsylvania Volunteer Infantry/5th Union League Regiment Badge

Hi all,

Below are images of a cast pewter regimental badge for a member of the 196th Pennsylvania Volunteer Infantry (100 days, 1864), also known as the 5th Union League Regiment. The device is a federal shield with a rope border with “196 and “P.V.” separated by “5th UNION LEAGUE” on a ribbon. The badge is 1 1/8 inches tall. The glare is a reflection. The well used T-bar pin and wire catch are attached to a narrow brass plate imbedded in the badge. This fastener is also found on the shield-shaped top bar of the pewter McClellan style 2-piece identification tag. So far, I have not been able to locate another example or an image of the 196th badge being worn. The materials and fabrication suggest a wartime date of manufacture but I would welcome opinions from others.

The 196th was a 3-month regiment raised in Philadelphia in July 1864 and spent most of its service guarding Confederate POWs at Camp Douglas in Chicago. The regiment served briefly at Fort Delaware and was mustered out on 17 November 1864 having lost ten men to disease.

Thanks for looking and comments appreciated.

162679104_196thP.V.Badge.jpg.4067e6912ebffc5d5a6c4235b7339188.jpg

2006728788_196thP.V.Badgeback.jpg.ffd6245a0280054b0667cdf98156906d.jpg

USCapturephotos

Very interesting Civil War badge. One I haven’t seen before. I was able to do a behind the scenes tour of Ft. Delaware once. What a fascinating place!

Paul

• 1 month later...