Unusual WWI Wings- French, Italian?

cthomas

Good evening guys.

I recently acquired these wings in a deal for WWI Aviation insignia. It was unknown at the time if they were French or maybe Italian. What do you think?

I'm not sure how visible it is to you guys but there is a faint inscription on each blade of the propeller. I will also post my rendition of this inscription, courtesy of a shaky hand & a computer mouse.

I forgot to add they measure about 3" across & 2" from propeller tip to tip.

post-518-1234826155.jpg

post-518-1234826248.jpg

post-518-1234826266.jpg

Charles,

I have always thought these were an early (1930s) sweetheart badge.

I see them fairly often. They usually are not made of precious metal, and are often cheaply guilded. I have also seen this exact pattern with a small pearl in the center of the propeller hub.

Chris

Maybe they are Chris. I'd sure love to hear more feedback on them.

I was leaning towards WWI because they remind me very much of the winged propeller sign hanging at an aviation instruction center in France (Issoudun, I believe...).

-Chuck

Chuck,here you see a picture of Francesco Baracca,quite famous italian pilot during ww1.On the left sleeve it is possible to see the aviator wings.As you can see there is the royal crown on them.Usually all the official insignias had until 1943 the royal crown above them.That's why I think the wings you are showing are not official italian aviator's wings.I'll try to find some better info on the subject,hope it can help.Note the cavalry badge on his hat,since most of the personnel of this young air force were officers coming from the royal cavalry they kept their insignia on the hat just adding the "propellers" to it!

post-2571-1234880947.jpg

post-2571-1234881728.jpg

here you can see a picture of a '30 italian royal air force pilot insignia,always with the crown above it.

post-2571-1234882248.jpg

(this last pic thanks to mymilitaria website)

Howdy,

I got to go with a sweetheart/patriotic jewelry identification as well. As said before, I see these with a small pearl sometimes as well.

Still, a nice piece of jewelry, but I don't think it is a WWI military insignia.

Patrick

It is not a French wing, but could be French manufacturer. The French flyer wore a 1/2 wing with a star for collar insignia and balloon pilots a 1/2 wing with a ships wheel. But they did make insignia for US Flyers and you see a lot of these and they made sweetheart jewelry. The clasp on this wing is not US made. I would like to see a detail close up of the clasp and joint assembly. I can tell a lot more form those.

Joe

Ciao 'marentius'! Greetings from Northern Minnesota, USA.

Thank you for the information regarding Italian Aviators & for the fine photos. I like the Italian wings in your collection as well. Very nice!

I don't think the wings I posted are Italian. I'm fairly certain they're of French design. Regardless, thank you any way for your reply.

By the way, does the inscription look to you like it might be latin?

Patrick & Joe-

Thank you for stopping by & giving your observations.

Patrick, there's such a piece with the pearl in center being sold as part of a DSC Aviator grouping on Ebay as we speak. Don't remember if he served in WWII...Do you know of this auction??

Joe,

Here's a close-up of the catch & joint assembly. Let me know if these work for you.

-Chuck

post-518-1234899260.jpg

post-518-1234899276.jpg

Howdy,

I don't know about an eBay auction, but I see these around here and there. All the ones I have handled, seem rather light weight and of thinly stamped brass or similar metal. Sometimes they are silver plated, sometimes not. Sometimes with a small pearl in the center.

As I said, I feel pretty good that these are sweetheart wings. Other than that, I could only guess as to age and location of origin. My feeling would be early WWII period and US made, but that is only a guess.

Patrick

As I said, I feel pretty good that these are sweetheart wings. Other than that, I could only guess as to age and location of origin. My feeling would be early WWII period and US made, but that is only a guess.

Patrick

Thanks again Patrick.

-Chuck

Ciao 'marentius'! Greetings from Northern Minnesota, USA.

Thank you for the information regarding Italian Aviators & for the fine photos. I like the Italian wings in your collection as well. Very nice!

I don't think the wings I posted are Italian. I'm fairly certain they're of French design. Regardless, thank you any way for your reply.

By the way, does the inscription look to you like it might be latin?

Patrick & Joe-

Thank you for stopping by & giving your observations.

Patrick, there's such a piece with the pearl in center being sold as part of a DSC Aviator grouping on Ebay as we speak. Don't remember if he served in WWII...Do you know of this auction??

Joe,

Here's a close-up of the catch & joint assembly. Let me know if these work for you.

-Chuck

That Catch and Joint would date it to the WWI era and it could very well be French. They did use that type of joint but not too often.