Named WW2 medal grouping

LE LOUP DES MERS

LE LOUP DES MERS

I have had this named medal grouping for quite some time now. I paid $50 for this grouping but that was like 7 years ago and I'm looking to eventually sell these as I don't collect WW2 stuff anymore (more of a Vietnam collector now) but had a few questions. I was told named medal groupings are rare if that is true how much is something like this worth? My second question, why are the boxes of the WW2 medals dated to the 70s and 80s? And is it possible to find out this man's military record by looking up the name on the back of the good conduct medal? The medals I have in the grouping are a pacific campaign with combat star, American campaign (still in original wrapping), victory WW2 (still in original wrapping), and good conduct plus two ribbons (I don't know what they are). I even have the original cardboard box these medals were shipped in. I know this medal grouping was not a put together as I bought them directly from the son of the WW2 vet. Why the son would sell them I have no idea but eventually I would like to sell these as they just sit in my closet all day and I would rather have a true ww2 collector enjoy these. 

IMG_20220123_233730~2.jpg

IMG_20220123_233830~2.jpg

IMG_20220123_233847~2.jpg

IMG_20220123_234111~2.jpg

IMG_20220123_233824~2.jpg

IMG_20220123_235321~2.jpg

IMG_20220123_234557~2.jpg

LE LOUP DES MERS

The cardboard box says U.S. army support active and looks like it was shipped to or from Philadelphia, pa. I tried to get a photo of the name on the back of the good conduct medal but kept coming out blurry (as you can see in photo). However, name is spells: Peter G. Rich 

That is a modern set of officially engraved re issue medals, probably from the 80s or later. What is the post mark date on the box? At the most, it is worth about what you paid.

Even WW2 period engraved GCMs don’t often bring much unless they are named to someone important or from a rare collectible unit such as 101st Airborne.

The fact that you still have the original box is a plus.

I too would like to know the date.

The son have any information on his dad's WW2 service?

Unfortunately, as a reissued group, you may be lucky to get back what you invested in the group. There's not a huge demand for named Good Conducts, particularly reissued ones. 

You're welcome to post it in the for sale section and see how it goes on there - probably be able to find the right home for it at the right price. 

LE LOUP DES MERS
1 hour ago, manayunkman said:

Even WW2 period engraved GCMs don’t often bring much unless they are named to someone important or from a rare collectible unit such as 101st Airborne.

The fact that you still have the original box is a plus.

I too would like to know the date.

The son have any information on his dad's WW2 service?

Sadly I never asked about his father as I probably should have when I had the chance but that was 7 years ago so who knows we're that guy is now. But the only date I'm seeing on the box is January 10th 84 

LE LOUP DES MERS
1 hour ago, Dave said:

Unfortunately, as a reissued group, you may be lucky to get back what you invested in the group. There's not a huge demand for named Good Conducts, particularly reissued ones. 

You're welcome to post it in the for sale section and see how it goes on there - probably be able to find the right home for it at the right price. 

So you think a far price for this grouping would be $50 plus shipping? 

LE LOUP DES MERS

If I looked into this guy's military record and found out he did something special or for example if he was awarded a high medal like moh or distinguished service cross would it raise the value? 

LE LOUP DES MERS
24 minutes ago, manayunkman said:

Anything is worth a try!

Good luck with your research and sale

Thanks, you know of any website I can go on to find out this info?

12 minutes ago, LE LOUP DES MERS said:

Thanks, you know of any website I can go on to find out this info?

Here's a thread with links to free sites you can use to research vets.

Found a name match (including middle initial) on the Archives website. No reason to believe this isn't him, but not definitive. In any case, should give you enough info for further research. Good luck!

https://aad.archives.gov/aad/record-detail.jsp?dt=893&mtch=9&cat=all&tf=F&q=peter+rich&bc=&rpp=10&pg=1&rid=1909691&rlst=1909691,8045183,1936444,3640071,5616052,5638446,6969895,8258387,1725946

LE LOUP DES MERS
2 minutes ago, MasonK said:

Here's a thread with links to free sites you can use to research vets.

Found a name match (including middle initial) on the Archives website. No reason to believe this isn't him, but not definitive. In any case, should give you enough info for further research. Good luck!

https://aad.archives.gov/aad/record-detail.jsp?dt=893&mtch=9&cat=all&tf=F&q=peter+rich&bc=&rpp=10&pg=1&rid=1909691&rlst=1909691,8045183,1936444,3640071,5616052,5638446,6969895,8258387,1725946

Hey thanks

8 minutes ago, LE LOUP DES MERS said:

That's crazy, so if this is the guy then then he fought through 3 wars (maybe). 

I think you may have read the Obit too fast like I did at first, and thought it read he served 35 years? Obit only mentions that he was a veteran of WWII:

"Peter G. Rich, age 88 of Newark, DE died on Wednesday, September 5, 2001 at the Christiana Hospital in Newark, DE. Mr. Rich worked in the accounting department of the Budd Company in Newark, DE, retiring in the 1970s after 35 years of service. He was a member of the Newark United Methodist Church and was a US Army veteran of World War II."

38 minutes ago, LE LOUP DES MERS said:

Is there anyway to find this guy's combat/military record like what battles he took part in etc? 

You can request his records from NARA, but the wait can be lengthy.  Pre-Covid, it was a few months. Couldn't tell you how long it is now as hey were shutdown, and there was a huge backlog growing. If you want to go this route, complete SF-180 at the link below, mail to the address in the instructions, and wait. 

https://www.archives.gov/files/research/order/standard-form-180.pdf

Your other option is a private researcher. You'll likely get better/quicker results, but may not be worth it to you if you plan on selling (can easily run you $60+ to pull records).

With no valor medals in the group, and the other medals being more contemporary reissues, I honestly think you'll have a hard time finding a buyer @ $50 researched, or not.

Actually, you may have an easier time finding a buyer if the group is not researched. Someone may be more inclined to pick them up as a research project.

LE LOUP DES MERS

Well is worth a try so sell it at least but yeah probably not worth the wait although it would be cool finding out the battles and what not. 

LE LOUP DES MERS

If I'm not mistaken after doing some research the top one is the Philippine liberation ribbon and the bottom is the Army Meritorious Unit Commendation Ribbon?