Looking for some help on a Horstmann M1840 NCO Sword

Frank_Smith

First off, I wanted to let everyone know that I did a search of the forum and couldn’t find a sword that exactly matches mine.  That being the case, I thought I would post the questions.

I recently picked up a M1840 NCO sword as part of a collection.  It had a tag indicating that it dated from the Civil War.  I’m not a sword collector and I’m hoping someone could confirm or deny that it from the Civil War era.  I also wanted to confirm that is NOT an USMC sword.  It seems like most of these swords with a turned down guards are associated with the USMC.

I’ve posted some pictures, but here are some details regarding the sword:

In the scabbard, the sword measures approximately 38 ¾ inches in length.  Outside of the scabbard, it measures approximately 38 ½ inches in length from the tip of the blade to the base handle.  The blade itself measures 32 ½ inches.  At the base, the blade measures 7/8 of an inch wide.  The spine of the blade is stamped, “HORSTMANN’S/PHILA” on two lines.  At the base, facing the turned down guard, it is also marked “HORSTMANN’S/PHILA”.    The guard itself, near the base of the blade, is stamped “710”.  I didn’t see any other markings on the sword or the scabbard.

Any help that you could provide would be most appreciative.

Frank

Sword7_1.jpg

Sword7_2.jpg

Sword7_3.jpg

Sword7_4.jpg

Sword7_5.jpg

Sword7_6.jpg

Sword7_7.jpg

Sword7_8.jpg

Sword7_9.jpg

Sword7_10.jpg

Sword7_11.jpg

Sword7_12.jpg

It looks very similar to a M1859 Usmc musicians sword, or M1840 NCO/Musicians sword. However the blade is not etched like some examples I have read about. 

Horstmann M1840 NCO sword was unique in that all theirs featured a turned-down anterior counterguard. They were not mechanically turned down, they were cast that way.  Originally it was intended for the Army but in September 1859 the Marines adopted the Horstmann version of the M1840 NCO sword for use by musicians of the Corps.  Unless the sword has an inscription or credible provenance showing its use, it is impossible to differentiate between an Army and a Marine sword.

The markings on your sword are really unusual.  Usually Horstmann NCO swords are stamped on the ricasso with some variation  of “HORSTMANN/PHILA” or “HORSTMANN/& SONS/PHILADELPHIA”, but not “HORSTMANN S/PHILA”.  Is the “S” short for “Sons”?  Unusual.  Even more unusual is the name on the spine.  I have never seen a Horstmann sord of any model so marked on the spine.  The keystone mark on the obverse ricasso shows Horstmann used a blade provided by the Keystone Works of Emerson & Silver.

Here is a photo showing an Army NCO with his Horstmann sword:

Sergeant with Hosrtmann NCO Sword comp.jpg

Here is a photo of a Marine musican with his Horstmann M1859 sword.  From his uniform, this picture was made post-1875.

Marine with M1859 Sword Mare Island 1A.JPG

I just wanted to thank the two of you for your replies and the information provided.  It is much appreciated!

• 1 month later...