WWI DSC/PH Group - Lt. Philip H. Williamson, 1st AA Bn.

tom2001

Just picked this group up. It really isn't in my main area of collecting, but I though it was pretty neat. It's a WWI DSC/PH group to 1st LT Philip H. Williamson, 1st Antiaircraft Machine Gun Battalion.

Williamson's Distinguished Service Cross Citation reads:

The Distinguished Service Cross is presented to Philip H. Williamson, First Lieutenant, U.S. Army, for extraordinary heroism in action near Thiaucourt, France, September 10 - 26, 1918. First Lieutenant Williamson displayed extreme coolness and courage while conducting the advance of his company in the sector near Thiaucourt. He visited daily, under heavy shell fire, his gun positions and made daily reconnaissances of the lines. When wounded, he refused to be taken to the hospital until he had superintended the removal of his men to a place of safety. General Orders No. No. 140, W.D., 1918

Home Town: Baltimore, MD

The 1st Machine Gun Battalion was awarded a Croix de Guerre with star with the following citation:

Under the active and brilliant leadership of its commander, Major Cushing, it distinguished itself by the results which it obtained at the Marne and Maselle and by the heroism which it displayed and by its high ideals.

post-126-1174348566.jpg

post-126-1174348611.jpg

post-126-1174348666.jpg

Tom,

Very nice find! First thing I noticed is the 1914-1917 CdeG. Didn't most of the Americans who won this medal receive the 1914-1918 version, especially if the action was in 1918? This is the first time I've seen the 14-17 medal in a US grouping. Can you or someone explain to me the criteria and award of this French award?

Gary

Tom,

Very nice find! First thing I noticed is the 1914-1917 CdeG. Didn't most of the Americans who won this medal receive the 1914-1918 version, especially if the action was in 1918? This is the first time I've seen the 14-17 medal in a US grouping. Can you or someone explain to me the criteria and award of this French award?

Gary

That one puzzled me too, Gary. Maybe someone else can answer. I have no doubt that the medal is his, as the group is literally out of the woodwork (or wood shed). The seller began her conversation with me with "I found these medals in a shed, what are they?" so I'm 99.99% sure nothing has been added to the group.

BTW, I found the following in Maryland Military Men 1917-1918, courtesy of ancestry.com:

Name: Philip Hearn Williamson

Race: white

Address: Oksley Road, Mt. Washington, Baltimore Co.

Birth Place: Baltimore, Md.

Birth Date: 05 Oct 1886

Comment: ORC 11/27/17 1 lt Inf, (Ft Myer Va.); 313 MG Bn; 3 A-A MG Bn 1/24/18; Co A 1 A-A MG Bn 4/10/18; Patient at Hosp AEF 9/26/18; Patient at Embark Hosp Newport News Va.; Patient at Walter Reed Gen Hosp D.C., Still in service 1/1/20, Overseas 4/30/18 to 11/9/18, St Mihiel; Def Sector (Lorraine), Wounded severely 9/26/18, Distinguished Service Cross Near Thiaucourt, France, Sept. 10-26, 1918. He displayed extreme coolness and courage while conducting the advance of company in the sector near Thiaucourt. He visited daily under heavy shellfire his gun positions and made daily reconnaissances of the lines. When wounded, he refused to be taken to the hospital until he had superintended the removal of his men to a place of safety, French Croix de Guerre (Gilt Star) He displayed the greatest courage and bravery under continuous bombardment and enemy gas attacks in the Thiaucourt sector from September 10-26, 1918. On September 12, although wounded by a shell, he advanced with his company very closely behind the infantry. He showed fine judgment in the choice of emplacements for his pieces. By his example and contempt for danger under trying conditions he sustained the morale and the ardor of his men. Wounded on the night of September 26, 1918, during a violent artillery bombardment, he refused to go to the hospital until he had given the necessary orders

Tom,

Gary

Gary,

This may just be another case of "use up the old stuff first". Lots of people in the military are not as concerned with the details as us collectors. They may have just had old date medals and wanted to issue them out before issuing the 1918 dated ones.

No matter, this is still a great grouping. thumbsup.gif

Gary,

This may just be another case of "use up the old stuff first". Lots of people in the military are not as concerned with the details as us collectors. They may have just had old date medals and wanted to issue them out before issuing the 1918 dated ones.

No matter, this is still a great grouping. thumbsup.gif

Lee,

I'm sure that's the case here with the French awarding the surplus 1917 medals before starting with the 1918 medals in that sector, but it's actually the first time I've seen an American grouping with the 1917 dated medal. At one point in my youth before Manion's and eBay, I tried collecting the CdeG from each year and the only medals I could find in the US were the 1918 dated version. You actually had to look outside the US for anything earlier. The condition of all medals in the grouping leaves no doubts that these were the medals awarded to him and stored away properly for all these years. I was just thinking what a wonderful group to an American, especially with that 1917 dated CdeG. I'm extremely jealous and envious of Tom's good fortune and certainly wish I had something to entice him into a trade. It is a wonderful grouping!

Doggone it, though, I wish those by-goner generals from 89 years ago would have awarded medals with the 21st century collector in mind! :wacko:

Gary

• 2 weeks later...
River Patrol

Just to add alittle more to this group....In "Maryland in the World War 1917-1919 Military and Naval Service Records Vol. II" Philip Hearn Williamson (Oksley Road, Mt. Washington, Baltimore Co.)

French Croix de Guerre (Gilt Star)

He displayed the greatest courage and bravery under continuous bombardment and enemy gas attacks in the Thiaucourt sector from September 10-26, 1918. On September 12, although wounded by a shell, he advanced with his company very closely behind the infantry. He showed fine judgment in the choice of emplacements for his pieces. By his example and contempt for danger under trying conditions he sustained the morale and the ardor of his men. Wounded on the night of September 26, 1918, during a violent artillery bombardment, he refused to go to the hospital until he had given the necessary orders.