509th Purple Heart

Usmc2004

Hello, This has been offered to me as part of a trade deal however I know very little about The Purple Heart.  I am a little skeptical of this one based off the unit.  

This is said to have been found after someone was cleaning out a home in California guessing many years ago.  There is a name engraved on the back Theodore B Darrough.  I have found his draft card to same name,  Theodore Bernard Darrough SN 06863545 and several hospital admission cards on ancestry all to the same name and service number that seem to go along with the current caretakers research.  Some research provided from the current caretaker of this says he volunteered for paratroops and was assigned eventually to the 509th in 1944.  Is said to have been injured during the jump into southern France, and then again in Belgium by machine gun fire. 

I would really like to know about the engraving and the medal itself before I concern myself with the story.  

Any opinions would be greatly appreciated.  

Thanks, John 

IMG_5352.jpg.3615fdaacc9d988129b3605c43ad8dc0.jpgIMG_5353.jpg.65999aa9b75ae85014e1bd31adaddcd0.jpgIMG_5365.jpg.68f46648e18971b6fd4aca30b92a68b0.jpgIMG_5359.jpg.05977c499be3154805854fa19460a9e6.jpgIMG_5360.jpg.f9a7e4759a7008d4cb4334310231e646.jpgIMG_5368.jpg.e00ece785d8bac99651520d014a826b1.jpg

Hey John, I am not a fan of the engraving.  It is not one of the styles done in the 40s-50s. I'd hardly consider myself an expert, but it doesn't look like period hand or machine engraving. 

Theodore B. Darrough definitely served in the 509th PIB. That said, the medal is machine engraved. I would say it is either privately done, or a form of modern official engraving. Perhaps from the 80s or later? I'm not well versed in these more modern engraving styles. If it is privately engraved, tough to say whether it is legitimate or done to deceive. It is what it is I'm afraid and doesn't have a lot of value IMO.

1 hour ago, Kadet said:

Theodore B. Darrough definitely served in the 509th PIB. That said, the medal is machine engraved. I would say it is either privately done, or a form of modern official engraving. Perhaps from the 80s or later? I'm not well versed in these more modern engraving styles. If it is privately engraved, tough to say whether it is legitimate or done to deceive. It is what it is I'm afraid and doesn't have a lot of value IMO.

So the research that was shared with me says he committed suicide in 1948, find a grave confirms he died in 1948.  If this does not compare to original issue I’m thinking you are correct in it being more of a modern reissue or maybe private purchase for family maybe? 

Brian Dentino

Agree with the above posts.  A WWII engraved PH to an AB soldier should be either hand engraved (easy to research good engravings here), Small machine engraved, or hand cursive engraved.  A great resource on official types of engraving and their periods is Dave's (Mod here on the forum) book which I highly recommend.  Cheap for the knowledge and awesome photo's contained in this priceless resource book on PH's.

5 hours ago, Brian Dentino said:

Agree with the above posts.  A WWII engraved PH to an AB soldier should be either hand engraved (easy to research good engravings here), Small machine engraved, or hand cursive engraved.  A great resource on official types of engraving and their periods is Dave's (Mod here on the forum) book which I highly recommend.  Cheap for the knowledge and awesome photo's contained in this priceless resource book on PH's.

They can also theoretically be large machine engraved, but that style looks much different than the medal in question...