one of my painted ww1 helmets

mbec

Hi all. I bought this helmet at a garage sale years ago. I wish when I bought stuff back then I would have asked about the man who wore it. His name is E. G. Quesnel. A Lt. with 32nd Engineers. I have a couple other ww1 helmets with markings that I'll post in the next couple of days I hope.        Mark

helmet3.jpg.a01ecb4636e2135e70575499698b6cd6.jpg

helmet1.jpg

helmet2.jpg

Thanks guys. Austin, I don't know how you all find info so quickly but it amazes me. I'm old and my computer skills are lacking.

15 hours ago, mbec said:

Thanks guys. Austin, I don't know how you all find info so quickly but it amazes me. I'm old and my computer skills are lacking.

Hah!  Its amazing the stuff thats out there online nowadays.  I have a soft spot for WWI painted helmets, so have gotten quite adept at researching them over the past few years.  Most of the 32nd helmets I have seen just have a simple castle and 32 in red painted on them. 

As an aside, many of the Engineer officers who went overseas wrote official "experience reports" detailing their time in the service (these are on fold3).  I took a quick look, and unfortunately only 4 men in the 32nd wrote reports.  I had hoped your guy had written something up, would be cool to hear his story in his own words! Too bad he didnt.  It seems the 32nd was detached by company and operated as general construction and repair teams throughout France. 

4 hours ago, AustinO said:

Hah!  Its amazing the stuff thats out there online nowadays.  I have a soft spot for WWI painted helmets, so have gotten quite adept at researching them over the past few years.  Most of the 32nd helmets I have seen just have a simple castle and 32 in red painted on them. 

As an aside, many of the Engineer officers who went overseas wrote official "experience reports" detailing their time in the service (these are on fold3).  I took a quick look, and unfortunately only 4 men in the 32nd wrote reports.  I had hoped your guy had written something up, would be cool to hear his story in his own words! Too bad he didnt.  It seems the 32nd was detached by company and operated as general construction and repair teams throughout France. 

I'm going to have to check out Fold 3. I see you all mention it a lot when researching stuff.

33 minutes ago, mbec said:

I'm going to have to check out Fold 3. I see you all mention it a lot when researching stuff.

Both Fold3 and Ancestry are usually free at local libraries, and an easy way to use those resources without paying for them.  You can even email copies of documents to yourself if you find them there. 

13 minutes ago, AustinO said:

Both Fold3 and Ancestry are usually free at local libraries, and an easy way to use those resources without paying for them.  You can even email copies of documents to yourself if you find them there. 

Thanks! I'm going to have to pack a lunch and visit the library.