Navy Drone Prop Clock

cagedfalcon

cagedfalcon

26 inches long, believe shaft hole was 1-1/4 at front & is 1-1/2 at back.

Bulova Clock Co 1942, it still luminouses brightly. Not working at the moment but have been getting lessons from an older clock repairman dealing with windup movements. 

Less then 4000 drones were made, probably a few more props, feel lucky to have one. 

20220119_185605.jpg

20220119_193126.jpg

20220119_192640.jpg

IMG_20220117_150632921.jpg

20220119_185637.jpg

Neat item, beautiful wood. Are there any markings on the prop or would those ordinarily be where the clock was inserted?

cagedfalcon

This pic show a maker on his portion.

That beautiful wood is mainly melted & crazed shellac. 

No background on the piece so I think I'll strip it & go back to factory finish.

Norma-Jeane-Dougherty-later-known-as-Marilyn-Monroe.jpg

McDermut99

Beautiful clock.

And for those who might not recognize her, the factory worker pictured holding the prop would become the famous model & actress Marilyn Monroe.

Looking forward to seeing the restoration!

cagedfalcon
3 hours ago, McDermut99 said:

Beautiful clock.

And for those who might not recognize her, the factory worker pictured holding the prop would become the famous model & actress Marilyn Monroe.

Looking forward to seeing the restoration!

Thanks, 

I was wondering if anyone would know who she was. 

Actually, this is Norma Jean Dougherty (real name), later she will change it to Marilyn Monroe.   

phantomfixer

I "fixed" a lot of these clocks...most of the time they are wound too tight....

if you can take it out of the prop and twist it clockwise, snapping your wrist a few times like unscrewing a jar ....it works more times than not.....

did this on the older clocks and ones used on the F4 and C5...

McDermut99
12 hours ago, cagedfalcon said:

Thanks, 

I was wondering if anyone would know who she was. 

Actually, this is Norma Jean Dougherty (real name), later she will change it to Marilyn Monroe.   

You're right, I wasn't sure if she'd changed her name by this time or not. We had TCM on instead of Nickelodeon in our house growing up, it's affected me a bit haha.

Is your plan to restore yours to as how the prop in the photo looks? The one pictured looks to have some sort of property stamp on it, Air Corps or Navy marking possibly?

cagedfalcon
12 hours ago, phantomfixer said:

I "fixed" a lot of these clocks...most of the time they are wound too tight....

if you can take it out of the prop and twist it clockwise, snapping your wrist a few times like unscrewing a jar ....it works more times than not.....

did this on the older clocks and ones used on the F4 and C5...

That got it going, but the second hand isn't working.  The interior is spotless,silver & shiny. 

6 hours ago, McDermut99 said:

You're right, I wasn't sure if she'd changed her name by this time or not. We had TCM on instead of Nickelodeon in our house growing up, it's affected me a bit haha.

Is your plan to restore yours to as how the prop in the photo looks? The one pictured looks to have some sort of property stamp on it, Air Corps or Navy marking possibly?

Clear finish with red tips. Not sure if I I'll bother with the stamp(?) unless I'm sure what it says..

I still may have access to one of these motors complete with carbs, magneto & prop..

Need to get on the phone & check back with her. 

phantomfixer
7 hours ago, cagedfalcon said:

That got it going, but the second hand isn't working.  The interior is spotless,silver & shiny. 

Clear finish with red tips. Not sure if I I'll bother with the stamp(?) unless I'm sure what it says..

I still may have access to one of these motors complete with carbs, magneto & prop..

Need to get on the phone & check back with her. 

not to be a smart rump but did you push the wind up knob?

cagedfalcon
1 minute ago, phantomfixer said:

not to be a smart rump but did you push the wind up knob?

Yes

Had escapement out & movement seems to be working properly,  all gears moving as they should. Could have a broken shaft, maybe that was why he had it. (?)

Scarecrow

Just wanted to add a couple of photos of my "prop clock".  It also has a 8 day clock and is mounted on a stand made from a 90MM shell, which is dated 1941.  Unfortunately I cannot seem to get the clock out of its mounting.  Not sure if the wood has swelled or its glued in.  Just don't want to force it.

IMG_0257.jpg.14f893d7c2974f2ea70e948ec31eacae.jpgIMG_0258.jpg.5ac3755ac1cd119d828f513d5dbd8bec.jpgIMG_0259.jpg.18eae9ff987829961098b357b744c643.jpg