What kind of M4 repop is this?

thehorse13

A buddy of mine waded into the dangerous waters of buying an original M4 WW2 carbine bayonet. What he received was this thing, which to me, screams repop. The only mark that I can find on this thing is what looks like an "M" or a "W" on the blade. The leather handle is significantly thinner than a real deal one and the base of the handle doesn't have the star pattern that you would see with a real peen.

Thank you for any information that you can provide.

IMG_3585.jpg

IMG_3586.jpg

IMG_3587.jpg

IMG_3588.jpg

IMG_3589.jpg

IMG_3590.jpg

If not a repro and there are many out there, I'm picking this is a Greek made M4. Perhaps the worst made of all the non U.S. made for military issue bayonets ever.

8 minutes ago, barryeye said:

If not a repro and there are many out there, I'm picking this is a Greek made M4. Perhaps the worst made of all the non U.S. made for military issue bayonets ever.

I think you're spot on. The quality is so appallingly bad that I assumed it is repop trash. A quick look at Greek M4 images, and it looks exactly like this one. Thank you for your response.

No. Problem. Pleased to help. I must add that I think your friend's M4 is still collectable. Whilst they are poor quality they are not as common to find as they once were. I set out to get one basic  example of each U.S. M4  and those made by countries that also used the M1 Carbine. Here in New Zealand the Norwegian M4 and Greek M4 were the hardest to find. 

115907588_10223825249123448_335246615980447934_o.jpg

Manchu Warrior
3 minutes ago, barryeye said:

No. Problem. Pleased to help. I must add that I think your friend's M4 is still collectable. Whilst they are poor quality they are not as common to find as they once were. I set out to get one basic  example of each U.S. M4  and those made by countries that also used the M1 Carbine. Here in New Zealand the Norwegian M4 and Greek M4 were the hardest to find. 

115907588_10223825249123448_335246615980447934_o.jpg

This is really interesting and would like to know do the non US M4's just have the different grips or do they also have different marks as in made overseas? If so it is possible that you show the different marks.  Thanks!

I believe The U.S. issued M4s with Leather and plastic grips. U.S  M4s refurbished with wooden handles were issued to Turkish troops in Korea. I think rubber handled M4s were also issued to U.S. troops but the jury is still out on that. All the other countries pictured chose their own handle materials and used their own blade markings. In my humble opinion the Norwegians' made the best quality leather handled M4s and the Dutch, German made M4s the best plastic.  I must add that on this forum of experts I am way out of my depth. :-) 

I really appreciate the responses. He paid 50 bucks for it and maybe he got a deal after all. I passed along the info to him but he wants a US example. He is an older fellow and doesn't do anything online. Aside from Ebay, is there a place or trusted source where he can get one, including the scabbard?

I'm not sure about American prices but I willingly paid far more than US$50.00 for mine. Sorry I can't advice you on U.S. sources for M4s. I'm sure the crew here can.

Skip, Thank you for the compliment.  From you that is praise indeed. American collectors and particularly this forum have been incredibly helpful with their knowledge.  

You'll find M-4's at many militaria sites. I could recommend Gunderson Militaria. They are prompt, have fair prices (IMHO) and are a pleasure to deal with. Someone would have to show your friend what they have in stock on their online site but you could do everything else by phone. ...or you could do it all over the phone if you didn't care about seeing each M-4 they have on hand.

Thank you. It will be me brokering the purchase for him. I will check out the dealer that you mentioned and see if they have something that he likes.