The M1 Carbine Holster

ncin1911

I have been doing a little research on the M1 Carbine holster.
We know they had little use and it might be apparent as to why, if you actually strap one on a pistol belt with a full length carbine holstered.
Couldn't myself imagine trying to un-holster quickly in a stressful situation.

Manufactured Dates:

Manufactures:
Protection Products Co. : Chicago
Lubrication Products Co. : Cleveland
JEFF. Q.M.D.: Jeffersonville Quartermaster Depot

Dimensions: 
~29" Long
~4.5" wide at top
~3.5" wide at muzzle

Some observations that have been made on believed originals vs known repops:
Muzzle end rivets: Flat hollow and star peened
Female LTD fasteners have the dot and raised/reinforced backs
Weave used on the securing strap is much tighter and of different style
Heavy cotton thread vs nylon
Manufactures fonts have some obvious differences

Here is some great information, including a link to film clip showing amphibious operation exercises with soldiers using the carbine holster.
THE M1 CARBINE HOLSTER

Are there any known period pictures or film, in or near combat areas, showing soldiers actually using these?
Linesmen, Engineers, MP's, Artillery etc.

Have yet to locate any contract documentation for the known manufactures, regarding the carbine holster. (other web gear, yes)

Any help from forum members with research or sharing actual documented information around the M1 Carbine Holster and it's use would be much appreciated!

Thank you

These appear to be referenced as; Scabbard, Canvas, Carbine, Cal. .30 M1 or similar.

Any members with QM catalogs, that could take a look at 43 & 44 dated ones?

I did find references made to the canvas (not leather) carbine scabbards within the 1944 Military Establishment Appropriation Bill hearings from May 26th 1943 along with a request to standardize them and within the QM Handbook for Car Company TM 10-470 dated July 1943.
Both of those publications can be found for free in PDF format under Google Book search, for anyone interested.

military-appropriation-bill-1943-hearings_for_1944_Budget-Carbine-Scabbard.jpg.c0b8049e2a848052f4d755af20deb3ce.jpg

QM-Handbook-Car-Company-carbine-scabbard-driver.jpg.fdea5e3bc0dc809dca0b6b307bf3c8f3.jpg

The attached photo copy of Depot of Supplies, U.S. Marine Corps packer's slip dated 2-15-44, was found inside one of these scabbards and shared by a CCC member.

CarbineScabbard.jpg.e3065d87c498440a51f76e46b4cd231a.jpg

Thank you @dustin; very appreciated.

Would you mind sharing from what QM publication & year you found that?
I am thinking that might be for the M1-A1 (folding stock carbine)

Something related I ran into, that also used the term scabbard but was describing the request for and development of the canvas scabbard for the M1-A1 carbine.

From the publication; Quartermaster Equipment For Special Forces by Thomas M. Pitkin Q.M.C. Historical Studies No. 4 Feb. 1944

Taken from page 261

"A scabbard was needed for the new folding stock , M-1A1 carbine ,
which was now coming into production and was to be issued first to
parachute troops . At the request of the Headquarters, Airborne Command,
the Parachute School at Fort Benning devised a canvas scabbard for the
new weapon . This was approved by the Quartermaster Corps Technical Com
mittee and detailed specifications for its procurement were prepared by
the Jeffersonville Depot . The Quartermaster Corps had been directed to
see whether some modification might be made of the scabbard for the
older M-l carbine , so that the same scabbard would serve for both , but
it was found that the designs of the two weapons differed too greatly
for this.
"33

33. Minutes of the Quartermaster Corps Technical Committee , December 3, 8, 1942 ; Quartermaster Corps Tentative Specification , J.2.D. No. 280, February 22 , 1943 .

Minor revision, that is not the stock number but rather the Model No., I believe 771100 is the Ordnance drawing number. The stock number was 34-S-299 for the Scabbard from original post inquiry. In your post #6 you have the packing list with proper nomenclature which matches the record I have posted. The stock number for the M1-A1 carbine was 34-C-255, the letter in the stock number is the first letter in all nomenclature, which in this instance would be CASE. I presume it goes something like; Case, Parachute, Carbine M1-A1 or something of the like. So based off the stock number and letter designator the Scabbard in my reference is the type of original discussion. Additionally, since the folding stock case was designed for parachute use, the verbiage "parachute" would have been used in its official nomenclature.

For the other Carbine accessory, the zippered case, I believe that was the Case, Carbine, Canvas, Cal. 30, M1, Ord. Dwg. 171410

Keep researching, you'll eventually iron out the details.

• 3 weeks later...

I believe I have a Jeff QMD somewhere, it could be dated 42 but probably 43, but I haven’t seen it for a while. Also in a basic soldiers manual, not sure which one, I’ve seen it being listed as a holster for Signal Corps pole climbers. I suspect that was just one of the uses.