M1 Bayonet cut down

Elliott R

Picked this up at a gun show today for 260 bucks. Was that a fair price in this condition? wasn't really expecting to get deals there, just there for the experience. I was pretty surprised to find something like this at a gun show to be honest. 

IMG_1133.JPG

IMG_1134.JPG

IMG_1135.JPG

Elliott R - To be honest, it is a nice one, but I believe you paid a little too much. If you check with "Dupage Trading", they have cut downs, with scabbards for $125. They also have some higher priced for other makers, but the more common versions are for the $125. As a suggestion, start cruising ebay "Edged Weapons" sights, and other dealers to get a better idea of price ranges. You will find you can do better. I know in this area of NC,  gun shows now days tend to have extremely high prices on military knives and bayonets.  Keep researching your hobby, you will get better deals.  Good Luck!  SKIP

Skip told you the bad news, and  it was the truth. However, the one on Dupage for 125 is not in the greatest condition and it comes with the wrong scabbard. There is a PAL cut down for 200 and a Oneida cut down for 250.  The Oneida is a little less common.  Now the good news is that you didn't pay for a dud bayonet.  That's a very nice cut down M1.  The PAL-MOD on the right side is a nice touch.  Most manufacturers simply stamped their initials on the back of the tang.  Give it a few years and you'll be happy with the price you paid.

Marv

thats good to hear. I'm mainly in the US medal/wing badge world and am pretty new to the edged business. I would say it was worth it for the gun show experience (that was my first one btw). I got to hold like 6 different Garands and a few M1 carbines, along with some 1911s and revolvers. I could have only dreamed of buying one considering a nice one is over 1k and I have been putting most of my money towards a house and car mods for my 2002 camaro Z28 (which is a pain to work on so it also takes a lot of my time of my time). Not to mention I'm not 18 yet so I can't get a higher paying job until im 18. There was also a table that sold a TON of foreign ww2 stuff like german bayonets, a lot of british bayonets, some japanese stuff, and even some swedish things. 

Elliott R- Hang in there, and keep researching, experience will go a long way, and considering you're only 17, you will see a lot. By the time you reach my age, that $250 will be considered a great deal. I bought my first M1 cut down at your age, (still have it), paid $3.50 for it, and a mint Utica M4 for $4.95.  You can see where pricing has gone since 1967. Study up, you'll get the hang of it. Show us pics of the Z-28 when you finish. Welcome to the web site, and don't hesitate to ask questions, you will get good honest answers.  SKIP

BILL THE PATCH

Since this was your first gun show, congrats on popping your cherry so to speak. I think there's a thread on what to do at gun shows or something like that. You should study up on that to. Did you try and haggle with the guy?. I mean did you make him an offer first? Lots of dealers at gun shows are more than willing to come down in prices. You might have got for 200.00. but since this is your first you didn't know. Good luck on your next one. 

Elliott R- Bill the Patch offers really good advice.  Always negotiate! You could end up saving a good chunk of change.  I always ask, "What's the best you can do?". You've got nothing to lose. If I'm not satisfied, I walk away.  But, you just might  get the deal or price you want, and both parties are satisfied.  SKIP

I originally asked if he could do 200, but he wasn't even going to come down to 250. I wasn't going to pass up a great cut down so I just said screw it and got it full price. It was only about 5 minutes into the show and there were people behind me who were looking at the bayonet with malicious intent so I didn't try to work him down too much. 

Ah! Traditionals! Nice example of an early UC cut-down, square fuller, 1942, w/no Greek stamping on guard. These are going for $200-$250 at aucton daily. Good job!

hyrax222