Ruptured Duck breast patch wool with yellow border

olivedrab1970

olivedrab1970

Interesting Ruptured Duck patch as I have only seen one like it so far, this patch was originally attached to a photo of two U.S. soldiers. Anyone else spotted one before?

20220115_104319_compress12.jpg

20220115_104330_compress52.jpg

olivedrab1970
1 hour ago, BILL THE PATCH said:

I have one on summer twill khaki, also has a matching meritorious award. They Have the yellow bdrs 

Interesting, have you seen any others in collections?

Robin

On 1/15/2022 at 3:00 PM, BILL THE PATCH said:

I have one on summer twill khaki, also has a matching meritorious award. They Have the yellow bdrs 

Yes Richard Smith has one in his WWII Armed Forces patch book.

IMG_E0585_Moment.jpg.a162b25b97e37b82008fe3a4266c361d.jpg

On 1/17/2022 at 4:54 PM, 0bx said:

Here is my collection of Ruptured Duck patches. The patch in the center is bullion. To the left and right of the bullion patch are Ruptured Duck patches on wool with yellow borders.

Thanks for the positive comments. The US Navy authorized grey working uniforms for a period of time(1943-1948) that were intended to replace the khaki working uniform. I am assuming that the grey Ruptured Duck patches were for those uniforms. Maybe one of our Navy vets can add more info.

I believe the gray ruptured ducks were intended for cadet uniforms.  At VMI - and possibly other military schools -- cadets who were WW2 veterans were authorized to wear a ruptured duck on the sleeve of their uniform.  Many cadets left before graduation to serve and resumed their studies after the war.  Presumably others served in the armed forces and then attended a military academy on the GI Bill after the war.  The patches pictured above appear to be "cadet gray" wool and not the steel gray cotton that would match the Navy gray working uniforms.

Here's a photo I found in the 1948 VMI Bomb.  It's a little tough to see but the cadet sergeant on the left is wearing a Ruptured Duck on his lower right sleeve.  The cadet on the right is wearing a US ROTC patch and academic star on his lower left sleeve.  These uniforms are a blue-gray wool that closely matches the color of the Ruptured Ducks pictured above.

VMI Cadet Officers 1950-A.jpg

9 hours ago, 0bx said:

Thanks for the positive comments. The US Navy authorized grey working uniforms for a period of time(1943-1948) that were intended to replace the khaki working uniform. I am assuming that the grey Ruptured Duck patches were for those uniforms. Maybe one of our Navy vets can add more info.

Yes of course, the Navy Greys, if anything the Grey Chiefs coats and Cadet uniforms as seen in VM188's reply.

olivedrab1970

Nice to see all these RPD patches, it is interesting to see the variants and all the different uniforms they where intended for.

RD

• 1 year later...

Does a gold border around some ruptured duck patches(like above) have any significance or is it just for added presentation? Been trying to find an explanation for this but to no avail. Appreciate any info or opinions.

13 hours ago, 0bx said:

Does a gold border around some ruptured duck patches(like above) have any significance or is it just for added presentation? Been trying to find an explanation for this but to no avail. Appreciate any info or opinions.

Nope, just a manufacturer variation.

• 2 months later...
Brian Keith

CPO Navy Grey Honorable Discharge

Here is a nice grey uniform worn by CPO Aviation Radioman, Harry Taylor during WW II. Information from his son indicates he entered service in 1943, went to radio-electronics school, then became an instructor At Kessler Field in Gulfport Mississippi. Apparently he never served outside the US. Of note is the grey Honorable Discharge insignia above the right breast pocket.

Thanks for looking!

BKW

Sorry, not sure why it is posting upside down!

P3300107.JPG

P3300106.JPG

• 2 months later...

Thanks for the comment.  That riker is part of my Ruptured Duck collection .

Yes it’s bullion.  Only the 3rd one I’ve seen (one in a uniform and the other in this post)

Gary B