LanCay Black Oxide M9

GregV

Question for the experts.   I have two, black oxide finished, LanCay M9 bayonets.  Neither have a Fuller. One is hollow ground, the other is flat ground. These are NOT marked Lan-Cay, yet are black oxide.  Legit or maybe a “home” done refinish????

8EE945E7-A021-4281-9111-B72250F86F4E.jpeg

62FDB38C-F61B-4E07-A654-51EFFCEDD4A0.jpeg

F2FAF63C-CFCA-4AE4-A63D-8189ADCA59F4.jpeg

5EA18482-145B-40A7-917C-9782FC9B1FAD.jpeg

C6F14B0E-1144-4309-8E89-6D3FB5128812.jpeg

DD1F573E-4C31-4FBD-96F6-AD0535E04844.jpeg

Anyone know the value of these? I have someone who wants to buy one or the other. I would like to come up with a fair price for both of us.  Thanks. 

According to Homer Brett, the second Lancay US Army contract was for 105,000 units. All were finished in black oxide. The first 15,000 bayonets delivered under the contract were stamped "LanCay" (August 1/'95). Shortly after, the decision to change the marking to "Lan-Cay" was made and executed (August 17/'95), with all future production marked in this manner. Of those first 15,000 bayonets, just over one-half of them still retained the earlier hollow-ground blade edge, with the remainder of the second contract bearing the simplified "angle-ground" blade edge. Despite the earlier or later manufacturer marking, they all should have the "M9" and "USA" markings as well.

During this time, LanCay was still trying to fulfill the tail end of the first contract, too. In attempting to accomplish this, they sought and were given authorization by the Army, to utilize some previously-made blades (200) that were just shy of their Mil-Spec requirement. However, in their zeal to catch-up on the delivery schedule, evidence seems to suggest additional blades in excess of that number, were salvaged as well. Numbers of off-spec blades were often completed, assembled and sold commercially when time permitted and income sorely needed. Stories of parts being sold to collectors, subsequently assembled by them and the completed "new variant" being listed on auction sites like Ebay is also a issue. The unattributed, later second contract bayonet pictured with angle-ground blade is more likely a off-spec piece made for retail sale, but there is no way to be certain it escaped final inspection and got delivered to the Army.

As for values, the earlier, second contract example with hollow-ground blade is about 1/8000 (of 15,000). With a total of 105,000, it is much scarcer than the later pattern... not considered rare but scarce might be closer to it. Bayonet exhibits service usage as well. No mention if either M9 has a correct, period scabbard. So, would consider the bare bayonet in the $110.00 range and later, unattributed example around $70.00. Add $30.-$40. for a good, clean scabbard and complete suspension.

Glad it was helpful.  One sidebar to this is, according to "H.B." over one-half of the first 15,000 bayonets of the 2nd contract had the hollow-ground edge (the remainder changing to angle-ground edge), but all were stamped with the previous "LanCay" marking. However, a few years ago, a seller listed some USGI military surplus M9s (purchased through a DRMS auction) on Ebay. Most were still sealed in the government protective bag, but he had a few opened just enough to photo the bayonet. Of those, most were like the majority of the second contract, with "Lan-Cay" marking and angle-ground blade. Looking closely at one in particular, I perceived it appeared to have the hollow-ground blade...and being new right out of the bag, bought it. When I received the M9, it was as I believed it to be...and a variant which was not reported to exist. I then tipped my fellow M9 collectors and they acquired the few others which the seller had. Only recall ever seeing one other, and it was a moderately used example for sale on the same website a year later. Just goes to show often there are no absolutes when it comes to reported production numbers...

• 7 months later...

I just got a hold of a 2nd contract LanCay with 1st Contract labeling; it's flat ground and black oxide, although it was so bright outside when I took the pic the blade almost looks like a first contract grey media blasted version. I guess it's time to track down a hollow ground version. Gregg/mocityman ... have any available?

Black Oxide LanCay, Flat Ground.jpg

Black Oxide LanCay, Flat Ground b..jpg