Unusual Airborne shoulder flashes

herrgeezer

I was looking for some information on another unit when I can across this image of a reproduction shoulder patch for the 508th Airborne Infantry Regiment. The patch looks like the 82nd Airborne but has a cloud of 13 stars in the center. When I saw this I tried to find an original example, but no luck.

Does anyone know more about this patch. I like it because it kind of reminds me of my state flag but with 10 more stars. 😁

On another topic I came across this patch purported to be the 29th Inf. Div. only it says Airborne above the blue and grey. What's up with that? Seems hokey.

508th_Airborne_Inf_patch.jpg

29th_Infantry_Airborne.jpg

In response to an earlier question - there are two "ASMIC' stories for 508th RCTs w/ Army Mission patches (similar to #1 top) supposedly made by a dealer who had the reputation of making high quality repros (he made the 802dn TD Bn fakes). The other story is they were made for airborne qualified members of the various Army Mission units assigned world-wide There is no evidence of any approval date for the design, which doesn't necessarily mean much.

Here are a couple from my teaching box. Note the one on the left isn't to embr specs for patches (not enough cables per inch) and the one on the right has incorrect red cable colors. Other diffs are the skinny stars (L) and wider border around the Missions patch (R).    

usmf 508th morrone.jpg