USCG SN Jumper WWII/Post-war ?

TheCrustyBosun

TheCrustyBosun

Here’s an interesting USCG jumper I ran across while surfing eBay the other day. It appears to be a WWII era produced jumper with seaman branch indicator on the right shoulder. The left sleeve carries post-war Seaman stripes. The “new” stripes for E-2 and E-3 would be white, red, or green.  The color signifies the branch or division, ie seaman, fireman, or airman.  This combination would be redundant. I’ve never seen such a thing before. Thoughts?

EBA6B5CE-128A-4B42-9E48-542B9866D8F1.jpeg

6A2FB945-FDF9-4DB4-9640-925BDC6F50FC.jpeg

06312220-E288-4B80-A325-7C665FB5A3FA.jpeg

21 minutes ago, TheCrustyBosun said:

Here’s an interesting USCG jumper I ran across while surfing eBay the other day. It appears to be a WWII era produced jumper with seaman branch indicator on the right shoulder. The left sleeve carries post-war Seaman stripes. The “new” stripes for E-2 and E-3 would be white, red, or green.  The color signifies the branch or division, ie seaman, fireman, or airman.  This combination would be redundant. I’ve never seen such a thing before. Thoughts?

EBA6B5CE-128A-4B42-9E48-542B9866D8F1.jpeg

6A2FB945-FDF9-4DB4-9640-925BDC6F50FC.jpeg

06312220-E288-4B80-A325-7C665FB5A3FA.jpeg

My dad was in the Navy when this change happened. He mentioned that it was a bit of a hassle getting the shoulder stripes off. All of his jumpers had come with the shoulder stripe already on them. He went from Deck Seaman to Fireman and didn’t bother to change the shoulder stripe. When the new sleeve stripes came out, many didn’t like them, (they had been worn by females since WW2, so had a bit of a derogatory name). When he pulled the shoulder stripes off, the jumpers were faded, and discolored. Especially the whites.