"The Fall of Saigon."

ArtyScout

I finally finished this 1/35 scale MRC UH-1C that I had shelved a few years back. This kit has great features, but I seemed to have some fit problems which I tried to rectify as best as I could. 

Now on to the next step.

Semper Fi.

Manny

resized_20220112_231346.jpg

resized_20220112_231444.jpg

On 1/13/2022 at 3:22 PM, Proud Kraut said:

Very nice, Manny! I assume that we will see the making of a new dio? Really looking forward to see the next steps.

Hey Lars, you're quite right. I'm working on it. 

Semper Fi. 

Manny

• 3 weeks later...

Hey everyone, here are some WIP photos. The structure and roof ladder are both scratch built. I still need to weather the structure and then I can get started on the figures.

Semper Fi.

Manny

resized_20220124_234350 (2).jpg

resized_20220130_231916.jpg

resized_20220130_231939.jpg

On 1/13/2022 at 2:12 PM, ArtyScout said:

I finally finished this 1/35 scale MRC UH-1C that I had shelved a few years back. This kit has great features, but I seemed to have some fit problems which I tried to rectify as best as I could. 

Years ago I thought about making a diorama of a Huey---but in military markings---trying to lift some civilians while a few of them clung to the skids.  It looked good in my imagination but was way beyond my expertise.  

I worked 11 years at the Bell Helicopter plant so I can't wait to see your finished product.  

I am sure this will bring back memories for a lot of people when you have it done.

There are a number of photos in this series. I think they are grainy because they were probably shot with a telephoto lense. 

If you note, in this image, the man on the roof is helping someone holding a child. 

This copy of this photo originated with Getty Images.  

I remember reading that the reason this roof was chosen was because it was higher than everything around it.  A few years ago, a traveler went back

to Saigon to find it.  The city has grown so much with high rises that it was hidden from view, but he finally located it.  It was still standing some

20 years after the event.

Saigon Fall - Getty Images.jpg

Sounds like its going to be great! My uncle was in Saigon to the day before it fell at the American embassy and i'm sure that he would appreciate this.

On 2/1/2022 at 3:37 PM, gwb123 said:

I am sure this will bring back memories for a lot of people when you have it done.

There are a number of photos in this series. I think they are grainy because they were probably shot with a telephoto lense. 

If you note, in this image, the man on the roof is helping someone holding a child. 

I remember reading that the reason this roof was chosen was because it was higher than everything around it.  A few years ago, a traveler went back

to Saigon to find it.  The city has grown so much with high rises that it was hidden from view, but he finally located it.  It was still standing some

Hey GWB, I have some different photos of this event and you're quite right a lot of them are grainy. I know I can finish this diorama pretty soon. My only problem is that I'll probably have just 4 civilian figures to put on the roof ladder. But I'm not giving up hope; I might be able to kitbash a 5th one. I'll be posting some more WIP pics later on.

Semper Fi.

Manny

On 2/1/2022 at 2:37 PM, gwb123 said:

Just to add to gwb123's post, my mother and I visited Saigon/ Ho Chi Minh City in 2013. While touring the Saigon Central Office (which was incredibly beautiful) our tour guide pointed out this iconic building, so yes it was still there 10 years ago. I took this photo from in front of the post office-a block or two away, although it is a slightly different view from another side than the famous evacuation photographs. I had hoped we have the opportunity to get closer to take some better photos but this was all I could get.  image.png.0c30b0500438e96e41f11617b86b45fa.pngimage.png.7a963228f28fc73d62bf6167ae2f94d7.png

On 1/13/2022 at 3:12 PM, ArtyScout said:

Now on to the next step.

Semper Fi.

Manny

resized_20220112_231346.jpg

resized_20220112_231444.jpg

Manny, was this an Air America kit to begin with or a standard UH-1 kit that you converted and repainted?

Great project, looking forward to seeing your progress.

Here a couple of photos you may have already seen  - taken by Philippe Buffon - Bell 205 N47004, Pittman Apartments 29 April 1975

@Philippe Buffon 

A93E21EE-17AE-46C4-9690-F684FDD2A90E.jpeg

5434B28A-CBC7-400E-8471-FD11620AABF0.jpeg

018974BA-C387-436F-AEBF-090BB9EF047D.jpeg

B00B6BB9-D1F4-4EC7-8FA4-5AA1ABBF6233.jpeg

8 hours ago, digi-shots said:

Manny, was this an Air America kit to begin with or a standard UH-1 kit that you converted and repainted?

Great project, looking forward to seeing your progress.

Hey D-S, this kit is MRC's 1/35 scale UH-1C Gunship "Muskets". Normally it would've been painted either OD or Marine Corps green. But I decided to go a different route. I did notice that some of the Air America Hueys had radar on the nose and an added antenna on the roof. But so far, so good. I hope to be done with this dio soon.

Semper Fi.

Manny

I’ve got a white 1/48 scale Red Cross HU-1 that I started painting a year or so and just never got back to it.  Watching your diorama makes me want to go back and finish it.  It looks like you already have the American Flag and Air America logo.  I may have an extra decal set if you need ‘em.  I think the sheet has various sizes/scales.

Look forward to seeing your progress.

Hello all. D-S thanks for the offer, but I have a full sheet of Air America logos and American flags. I hope you finish that Red Cross Huey. The rooftop has been weathered, but I forgot to take some pics. That's because I've been busy with the figures. I've painted one crewman and four refugee figures. That should get the impression across. The figures are in their preliminary stage of painting. I still have some tweaking to do, but once they're done then the whole diorama should go together. Remember that all comments and critiques are greatly appreciated.

Semper Fi.

Manny

resized_20220210_222325.jpg

resized_20220210_222304.jpg

On 2/1/2022 at 1:54 PM, Proud Kraut said:

Wow, Manny this roof looks awesome! How much time did you spent building the ladder? Great work so far.

Hey Lars, sorry I didn't respond to your question. It took me about an hour to make the roof ladder. Most of my time was spent making sure the glue dried before I went to the next step.

Semper Fi.

Manny