Hello from upstate ny

Cindys

Hello I am here hoping to connect with families of servicemen that served with my dad in camp Crowder in the early 1940s ... And then he did go to Okinawa. Both my parents have passed and there was very little talk about his army experience. He was there in the early 1940s the 726 mp battalion. 

Cindy,

There are very few of these men left. All well into their 90's. You can hire a researcher,like Golden Arrow, to dig out his records. I think this would be the best way to connect with what your fathers time in the military was like.

Good luck,

Bob

Welcome to the forum.  You may be from Upstate New York, but I'm from a bit upper state.  I was born and raised in Utica.  I moved out here to California 40 years ago.  When was your Dad on Okinawa?  My dad fought there in 1945.  He was in the 106th Infantry Regiment, 27th Infantry Division from May 1940 through the end of 1945.  He passed on in 1986.

Mikie

Hi Mikie,

Yes you are certainly upstate, I am not that upstate! I am actually close to Albany. This sounds a bit hopeful talking to you. My dad passed in 1982 and me being the youngest I heard very little discussion of his army days and now I really am interested. I have many letters I haven't made it through yet. I do have a v mail my dad wrote on aug6 1945 saying they are still there.  Also my dad was involved in a reunion and so I have a list of the people in his battalion, it is quite lengthy. My daughter ordered the book that is written about his battalion, the soldier at the crossroad,I can't wait to see it. Even if I can connect with families of the men, I think it would be very rewarding for me. 

• 1 month later...

Yes I have Bill. I have multiple letters from other servicemen to my dad. Along with his uniform and other things. I just found that license plate earlier tonight

Also I have multiple photos that my dad took. I have an announcement that the war is over. My dad brought home shells from Okinawa that he made into necklaces for my mom. I have a huge painting that a pow from Okinawa painted for my dad that hangs  in my dining room. This is all treasure in my opinion.

Hi. I'm from western NY, near Rochester. I have a sister and a brother-in-law in your area.  Good luck on your search. I'd love to see some of your dad's service related items. My dad was in the Pacific, having served from '42 to '46.