Attributed POW Medal - Bataan Death March Survivor

mvmhm

We've been open in our new location for ten days, and something has walked in the door every day. One item we didn't think we'd ever see was an attributed Prisoner of War Medal - we were wrong! Raymond brought in his father's POW medal and discharge papers. His father was a Prisoner of War of the Japanese for 3 1/2 years and survived the Bataan Death March; you can read his complete story at the link below.  There's more stuff coming as he works his way through several boxes of "stuff."

https://bataanproject.com/provisional-tank-group/prater-pvt-lacy-l/

IMG_20220110_201633.jpg

IMG_20220110_201802.jpg

IMG_20220110_201908.jpg

WOW! It is a bit hard to read on a screen, does the discharge actually indicate he was a POW? I'm not questing that he was, just curious if it is noted somehow.

Thanks for posting it!

BKW

No, it doesn't specifically say he was a prisoner, but when you look at the times overseas, versus his medals and campaign stars and the long stay in the hospital it ties together. Not sure why that wasn't annotated. Thankfully his captivity is well documented (especially at the link above). It's possible as some of his other artifacts come to light there may be something in other paperwork.

Mark sends

Also, if you click on an image to enlarge it, then right click and save it, you can open the full size picture from your hard drive which makes it much easier to read.

Mark sends

Thanks for posting! Normally you dont see these in an Arrow case. They were issued in the cardboard contract box. Since the Bronze Star lapel is in the box, I am guessing this box originally held hi Bronze Star.

Kurt

collectsmedals

Not sure that it means anything, but I have two POW medals in similar cases. Neither are named or attributed.

IMG_1288.JPG

IMG_1289.JPG

I have a number of named POW medals in my collection that are part of larger groupings and none are cased. That doesn’t mean that some were  issued cased.

Kurt

5 hours ago, Wharfmaster said:

Here you go, Another Bataan man, Air Corps.

IMG_2343 (1200x975) (967x1190).jpg

IMG_2349 (951x1310) (719x990).jpg

I have some of Lester Lacy’s POW mail.

Kurt

I'm sure the case held his BSM...I'm hoping his son will find the rest of his items soon; maybe the POW Medal box will be in with everything else, although I won't be heartbroken if it's not...

Mark sends