Admiral of the Fleet Sir Frederick Laurence Field

Javelin4life

For my first acquisition of 2022 post, I want to share a miniature bar who’s historical significance is matched only by the incredible array of decorations displayed.  This bar is without a doubt one of the finest quality bars I’ve ever handled.  

Made by the British manufacturer J. R. Gaunt & Son, it is obvious that the tailor spared no expense in order to showcase these decorations to the highest degree.  

All of planchets show incredible detail and the enamel is in excellent condition.  In addition, both the Knight Grand Cross Order of the Bath and Knight Commander Most Excellent Order of St. Michael and St. George are made of gold. This bar is attributed to Rear Admiral (later Admiral of the fleet) Frederick Laurence Field.  

Born in Killarney, Ireland on April 19th 1871, Frederick Field was the second son of Colonel Spencer Field, Royal Warwickshire Regiment. Joining the Royal Navy in 1884, he was appointed Lieutenant in 1893. 

During the Boxer Rebellion he landed with the Bluejackets from Barfleur and lead a raiding party, where he was wounded in the taking of Tientsin City. For his services he was mentioned in despatches and awarded the Boxer Rebellion medal with Relief of Pekin clasp. He was promoted to Commander in 1902 and Captain in 1907.  

Field served throughout the Great War, notably being present at the battle of Jutland as Captain of the battleship King George V. For his services during the war he was mentioned in despatches, awarded the C.B. (1916), C.M.G. (1919) and Orders and Medals from France, Romania, Russia and U.S.A. 

Field ultimately rose to the rank of Admiral of the Fleet and was put into the position of First Sea Lord of the Admiralty and Chief of Naval Staff, a position that he held from 1930-33.  In this capacity, he dealt with the response to the Invergordon Mutiny in September 1931 and ensured the abandonment in 1932 of the 'ten-year rule', an attempt by the treasury to control defence expenditure by requesting the Foreign Office to declare whether there was any risk of war during the next ten years.  

Field eventually retired to his home at Escrick Park near Escrick in the East Riding of Yorkshire (now North Yorkshire) where he died from cancer on 24 October 1945.

85962502-05D9-4176-9444-05058A4E4FE1.jpeg

CB3216DE-D61B-49E5-816B-6ABC8CCC4A13.jpeg

A74ED856-FE40-4B0D-85BA-8D4A9F5550A9.jpeg

76EEE89A-D8E5-4242-98C5-E6CB3F063D95.jpeg

3EC59D22-3263-4815-8398-1212D0D883B8.jpeg

D0C61579-290A-4824-B20A-15A2CAC1D478.jpeg

018AE4BA-A43D-44AE-BDF7-519AE5CE830D.jpeg

9FEA4549-0921-4EEA-8891-77F944BE8B36.jpeg

Gorgeous set. I love British medal bars. I’ve never seen clasps on the British War Medal before. Would be curious if they were official in nature. Thanks so much for sharing. 

Friar

Just a remarkable set Alex. You’ve developed a world class collection over the years. It’s a treat to see your well curated selections. Aside from the DSM the St. Anne is a killer part of the bar. The DSM significance be overstated enough in this case. Well done

On 1/11/2022 at 11:50 AM, FriarChuck said:

Gorgeous set. I love British medal bars. I’ve never seen clasps on the British War Medal before. Would be curious if they were official in nature. Thanks so much for sharing. 

Friar

Thank you very much! Regarding the bars on the British War Medal, the clasps were made for the medals, mainly the miniatures, but due to the sheer number of clasps available and the cost it would take to make them, the concept was ultimately considered impractical and subsequently scrapped.

On 1/13/2022 at 12:32 AM, jmpmstr said:

Just a remarkable set Alex. You’ve developed a world class collection over the years. It’s a treat to see your well curated selections. Aside from the DSM the St. Anne is a killer part of the bar. The DSM significance be overstated enough in this case. Well done

Your words carry heavy sentiment as it was your US collection display that i originally modeled my taste around for only wanting to add quality items.  Thank you for your praise and continuing to be a mentor and friend.