My Korean War Web Gear Setup.

Ben G.

This is my favorite way to set up my korean war web gear. No idea if two of these ammo pouches were ever used together like this though.

20220109_213243.jpg

20220109_213321.jpg

20220109_213901.jpg

20220109_213921.jpg

Nice rig. Regarding the M1 carbine 30 round mag pouches do they have spacers or not and what are the dates/markings? My guess is only one pouch was issued, but like in WW2, many a G.I. found room for more than the issued amount. I recently acquired a nice 1949 dated one and have a 1950 dated pouch excess to my needs...

Thanks, both of the pouches have two spaces inside them, I'm guessing one for each magazine. The nicer looking one on the left is dated 1951, and it's made by s. Froehlich co. The one on the right has been painted and I cannot read the date, but it has what appears to be unit markings on the inside, so it was definitely painted during service use at some point.

20220103_032536.jpg

Are you sure it is paint? I ask because issue pouches of that time were heavily impregnated with a waterproofing solution which makes them somewhat stiffer than non-treated webbing and sometimes even feels tacky to the touch. Have seen other material like a BAR sling, etc. treated the same. BTW, were you looking to add a US Army M1945 haversack & knapsack to the ensemble? If so, have a spare set in nice condition...

I suppose it could be the heavy waterproofing solution you say, if it is, it is so thick that it covers all the markings on the pouch itself. I'm wondering if it was treated during korea, or maybe later? I have an m1945 combat pack already, but it is sort of in lousy condition with some of the straps cut off. How much are you asking for yours?

Posted photos of the two pouches I have. The one on the left is somewhat stiff from the waterproofing treatment. It has that odor one gets from heavy military canvass items like GP tents, tarps, etc. The pouch on the right is lighter in construction and green color. It does not seem to have been treated like the other (or possibly done so with another compound) and odor is absent from it. Possibly your pouch was painted after-the-fact to help repel moisture and might explain the obscured ink markings. While digging out the pouches, got the spare M1945 bags out as well. I will start a "conversation", PM the particulars and attach photos as well, to you shortly...

M1949 x 2 a.JPG

M1949 dtd 49.JPG

M1949 dtd 50.JPG