Question about SS and PH

Elliott R

so I had never seen that silver star before with "for display only" on the back so I had to pick it up for 50 dollars. I was wondering if anyone could tell me anything about that like how rare it is compared to other medals, if it is actually worth nothing, or if I should replace it with a real one. I also had a question about the age of the PH. It's in the WW2 case but I can't tell if it's a WW2 medal or not. IMG_1124.JPG.4c63f2880c3f0ee3e828a24551d5f27c.JPGIMG_1128.JPG.14410c9e153a0c7f7578625553a448fa.JPGIMG_1127.JPG.b1586a5d4572fb4c90f1441cb546896e.JPGIMG_1125.JPG.4811da67871d8bebd2d15864bcbc49d2.JPG

dhcoleterracina

With collectors, it's a personal choice. Some would rather have it blank but I think they're pretty cool. I don't know who got access or if it was just a recruitment tool. 

IMG_1652.JPG

tdogchristy90

If I’m not mistaken “For display purposes only” or “For exhibition purposes only” medals were used in things like museums or bond drives or other such functions for, as you guessed it, displays. 

As for the purple heart the brooch seems to be a crimp brooch, a modern style used from the 1970s onward. 

Hope this helps a little and see what other have to say. Good luck! 

dhcoleterracina

The DFC on the left says "for exhibition purposes only", it's hard to read. I don't think it adds any value compared to an un-issued piece. 

Thanks guys! Does the "for display only" subtract value from an unmarked one? The SS is going on in my medal display frame so I'm not too worried about it. Just curious. I also found the PH at an antique store so probably should have held off on that one. I guess I do have a ww2 PH case now. 

As mentioned above, preferences vary, but I’d value a blank medal higher than a “display” / “exhibition” one.

Especially at prices I typically see at antique stores.

tdogchristy90
11 minutes ago, Elliott R said:

where do you see it numbered? I am pretty sure it is not numbered

The number is along the rim/edge of the heart. 

hmmm. I looked all around the edge of the PH where it would be numbered but didn't see any numbers/what could have been numbers at one time

9 hours ago, Elliott R said:

hmmm. I looked all around the edge of the PH where it would be numbered but didn't see any numbers/what could have been numbers at one time

Sorry, I thought it was numbered based on what someone said above. Not sure what they based that on. If there's no number, there's no number. 

Sorry for my mistake about the PH being numbered. The picture is not detailed enough i'm afraid. I thought i saw that the coat of arms on the obverse was incorporated and one with the planchet. Those PHs are early production and all are numbered. If the coat of arms is a separate enamelled metal piece, the PH is of later production.

Basically as a crimp brooch type it can now be of recent production aswell.  Hard to say from these pictures.

Sorry again for the confusion caused. 

Regards

Herman 

2 hours ago, Hermanus said:

Sorry for my mistake about the PH being numbered. The picture is not detailed enough i'm afraid. I thought i saw that the coat of arms on the obverse was incorporated and one with the planchet. Those PHs are early production and all are numbered. If the coat of arms is a separate enamelled metal piece, the PH is of later production.

Basically as a crimp brooch type it can now be of recent production aswell.  Hard to say from these pictures.

Sorry again for the confusion caused. 

Regards

Herman 

its fine, you have my Iphone 6 to thank for that

• 2 months later...

That Purple Heart has one of the newer flat plastic inserts. Its a very modern medal and thats not the original box.

Kurt

• 4 months later...
Fromthepastcollections
On 1/9/2022 at 9:44 AM, Elliott R said:

Thanks guys! Does the "for display only" subtract value from an unmarked one? The SS is going on in my medal display frame so I'm not too worried about it. Just curious. I also found the PH at an antique store so probably should have held off on that one. I guess I do have a ww2 PH case now. 

With For Display/Exhibition only engraved on them shouldn't (in my opinion) detract value, as they are still legitimate medals. They just weren't issued to an individual.