reenactor's equipment help

private panda

private panda

I'm trying to get into reenacting, and I tried a few years ago, but outgrew all of my uniforms. Also, I'm trying to rustle up equipment for a bazooka operator. Any one now a good site for cheap equipment?

I'm trying to get into reenacting, and I tried a few years ago, but outgrew all of my uniforms. Also, I'm trying to rustle up equipment for a bazooka operator. Any one now a good site for cheap equipment?

Hey Panda,

I am putting togehter some stuff myself-I would start by checking atthefront for what you need. then between buying from them and ebay, which you shoudl watch to see how much things are going for before you bid, you can put together a good uniform for less money.

I would start off by making two lists: one list with the basic uniforms you will need to start going to events, and one list with the basic field gear you will need to start going to events. Then concentrate on getting those items and setting up your impression before you're buying extra stuff, dress uniform, pocket stuffers, and what not.

If you are going to join a unit, you may also want to ask if anyone in the unit has any items for sale that you would be able to use for your impression. I've gotten a lot of stuff through friends or members of the units I've belonged to, much cheaper than it would be to buy them on eBay or new.

Sgt_Rock_EasyCo

If you're located in or near California then there is an 82nd Airborne Group that can sponsor you while you get your gear together, they even have a bazooka.

Rock

If you're located in or near California then there is an 82nd Airborne Group that can sponsor you while you get your gear together, they even have a bazooka.

Rock

Hey Rock is that Nick friedrich and Juan Gonzolas's old group or the new improved LHA of the 82nd, Ive seen u guys, you do a great job!!!!!

paul

Sgt_Rock_EasyCo

Rock

Mike Hagins Group from NorCal. He is the Lt and unit leader and they're affiliated with the RPS and MHPS (Vietnam)

Rock

Mike Hagins Group from NorCal. He is the Lt and unit leader and they're affiliated with the RPS and MHPS (Vietnam)

Rock

cool beans, maybe you can put me intouch with the unit leader of the L co Rangers???

you guys do a nice job!!

Nice to see everyone fit and trim "Hooha"

:)

paul

private panda

Naw, I'm from the central coast. I got the list from the local group (G company of the 36th "Texas"), and am building my own bazooka. If possible, could any one give me some good sites for cheap gear, and schematics for the M1A1 bazooka.

Sgt_Rock_EasyCo
Naw, I'm from the central coast. I got the list from the local group (G company of the 36th "Texas"), and am building my own bazooka. If possible, could any one give me some good sites for cheap gear, and schematics for the M1A1 bazooka.

Mike Hagins is in your AO and many guys run around the Central Coast.

Rock

The only cheap gear is used gear, and the only used gear is usually on eBay or at an event being sold by other reenactors. For cheap boots, go to eBay. For cheap everything else, go to eBay and events.

Or, get a package deal from At The Front and get the basics out of the way in one fell swoop.

private panda

Mike hagens? don't know him. No I mean Austin, Texas, home of the actual texas division. Their former post is the local National Guard base, where G company is based

private panda

I was just browsing the web and found some Froggie copies of the buckle combat boots. Any one know if these are a decent replacement? (the're reeeeaaaallly inexpensive)

I was just browsing the web and found some Froggie copies of the buckle combat boots. Any one know if these are a decent replacement? (the're reeeeaaaallly inexpensive)

No good. The soles are incorrect for one thing. By the time you get them looking correct you will have been able to buy a new pair.

• 4 weeks later...

Nobody makes the rockets that I know of, but the rocket bags are being made, as are the transit tubes. A few people make the launchers. You're better off buying one than making them. For each repro launcher made, ten get started and are never completed as it's deceptive to look at them and misunderstand how complex they really are. None of them are cheap. A bazooka gunner impression is NOT a cheap one to pull off! I should know, here I am on the trigger of my M1-A1...

bazooka.jpg

Armed 2 tha Teeth

I second that, bazooka team impressions are not easily or cheaply done. I have split the costs with a buddy of mine and it has still been expensive. The reproduction M1A1 was $500, 3 reproduction rocket tubes were $110, two rocket bags were $100 and we have probably spent around $160 on our 3 rockets.

we have probably spent around $160 on our 3 rockets.
You either got lucky on finding the rockets or you found them a while back. I can't believe what rockets are going for now, it's tough to find just one under $100 these days! When I got my launcher and started looking for rockets in 2001, you could still find them around 40-50 bucks. Those days are long gone!

Panda,

Recommend you link-up with a unit in your local area and then equip yourself with their standards. That way, you'll be more UNIFORM with their equipment (you don't want to show up with a bunch of M43 gear if their normal impression is wools, or vice versa). Plus that unit will have folks who can help/support/guide you better than we can from afar.

Thrasher

Armed 2 tha Teeth
You either got lucky on finding the rockets or you found them a while back. I can't believe what rockets are going for now, it's tough to find just one under $100 these days! When I got my launcher and started looking for rockets in 2001, you could still find them around 40-50 bucks. Those days are long gone!

One of the rockets need some work, it is slight bent (bought at a flea market). The other is perfect, and I was able to buy it cheaply on one of the auction sites. I think we paid $45 a piece for them, and then we bought a very nice unmolested '43 dated training rocket with clip for $65 at FIG this January. So my estimate was alittle high, but I am not really looking for the best condition rockets where you have to spend $100. I try to keep my eye out for slightly cheaper ones but still off ebay you can find very nice rockets for well below ebay prices.

I agree with several other posters, find a unit that suits you and is made up of like minded individuals. Being part of a unit that just dosent fit your personality can make going to events more work than fun.

That being said, if your serious about reenacting and plan to do it for quite some time BUY GOOD STUFF! If you cheap out now you will be replacing it sooner than you expect and end result spending more than you would if you bought good stuff to begin with. One thing that I have seen 2 or 3 times in my own unit is a guy goes out and gets a set of HBT's because they are cheaper, cooler and more comfortable than the wools. However the unit we portray only wore HBTs briefly in Sicily. End reslut the HBTs sit in these guys closets.

So to put it simpily, find a unit, do the research, talk with experienced guys and make our decisions based on whats right not whats cheap. Im not saying you cant get good stuff cheap but you get what you pay for.

Okay here's my two cents on the matter...

As far as uniforms, you have to figure on whether you will be wearing real or repro... Real gear can be had on Ebay... As far as Repro, At The Front at www.atthefront.com makes probably some of the best repro gear out there. He has Bazooka bags in two styles. ATF has invested in the actual machines the fabrics were made on so the fabrics and colors are spot on. They have the M1937 Wools, Herringbone Twills (HBTs), and the M1942 Airborne Jump uniforms, The M1943 Field uniforms, as well as the Rigger modified M1943s for the Airborne crowd. I have quite a bit of stuff from ATF and am thoroughly satisfied with both their uniforms and gear, and their customer service. Delivery is lightning fast. I have the M1937 Wools, the HBTs and the M1942 jump uniform and the quality is first rate. I also have the Roughout boots and paratrooper boots by ATF... Good stuff.

What Price Glory, http://ww2-militaria-reproduction.com/default.asp, has your repro M1A1 Bazooka for $650... I'm not sure of the uniforms there, but they have a lot of neat little odds and ends here and there.

Tiny Warriors, http://tinywarriors.weblodge.net/wwii-reen...r-gear-c-5.html also has some good stuff, and if anything is an alternative to ATF and WPG.

There is one place I can warn you away from, and that is AEF Supply. I ordered M1937 trousers from them six months ago, and am just now supposedly getting my refund. Avoid that place like the plague.

If you are going for the complete Impression, it might behoove you to look into www.reprorations.com as well... you'll see what I mean if you check it out.

WWII Ration Technologies is another good site to look around for ideas on the rations of the day... http://www.ww2rationtechnologies.com/

Hope this helps...

Wayne

• 3 weeks later...

There is a Company that has Inert 2.36" Rockets

http://www.inertproducts.com/inert_ordnance

They have Inert M7A1 & M7A3 rockets but it's way too rich for my blood. We used to get some of there stuff for IED training on am IMPAC card

Other than that, I find them every so often at small surplus stores

I have a Replica M1A1 Launcher, Bag, Tubes and a few rockets, the thing I would love is a way to get it to make the Launching Whoosh sound. At Fig a few years ago, another unit had modified one with a Co2 unit